Part 17: Transfiguration

A surprised hush filled the room, despite many knowing little about magic we all knew it was quite a feat to perform it perfectly first time. Even the best students could only make the matchstick slightly silver and pointed after one lesson.

I decided to take advantage of the situation by taking a slightly cocky attitude, though it wasn't in my usual nature. I was used to being overshadowed by my brothers so I didn't have many chances to show off. I could at school but it was hardly worth it with their idiocy.

'Is that all we have to do? Surely there's something more challenging?' I said with a smirk.

Something flashed in Mcgonagall's eye, but was gone too quickly to deduce. She looked both exasperated and proud, exactly the kind of reaction I intended to evoke.

The walked up to her desk before pulling out a beetle. I was pretty certain this was a second year spell but after the last spell I was pretty sure I could pull it off.

'If you are so confident in your abilities, Miss Holmes, then perhaps you could transfigure this beetle into a button. The spell is Coleoptera Verto.'

'Of course, Professor', she clearly thought I was too overconfident in my abilities.
I waved my wand in a similar fashion to before, imagining exactly what the button would look like.

And there, on the table, sat a rather large, black button. I satisfied smile made its way onto my face.
I picked it up and twirled it around in my fingers, only increasing the shock that my classmates felt.

'Maybe I have the right to be confident in my abilities'

She sighed, almost in defeat,
'Please can you go to Dumbledore's office, I will meet you there at the end of this lesson'
'Sure, Minnie' I said with a wink as I dramatically swung the door open and left the room.

Dumbledore's office was on Gargoyle Corridor on the third floor, that wasn't the difficult thing. I hadn't been told the password however and from my short experience at the school it appears the passwords are fairly random.
However as his office may have to be accessed often in emergencies there should at least be a pattern to his passwords.
He didn't exactly seem to be a 'normal' person so using names for passwords were out of the question. Latin words also seem unlikely as students may also need to know them easily.
I had been paying attention to Dumbledore's general pattern for the past few days, the crazy man seemed to intrigue me. Most people became boring and predictable after an hour or so but his actions didn't seem to follow any sort of logic. One thing that did remain consistent was his food, after every meal (even though I'd only seen a few) he ate lemon drops. Most people tend to choose passwords after a consistent motif in their routine.

And with that conclusion I reached the entrance,

'Lemon drops'

The gargoyle stepped aside in response to a password which revealed a large circular staircase. They ascended towards a large circular room which emitted curious noises such as whizzing and puffs of smoke. On all of the walls hung portraits, most likely of the past headmasters and small trinkets were on each surface. At the large desk sat Dumbledore, with a knowing smile.

'Miss Holmes, I've been expecting you.'

Hope you enjoyed :) Thanks for getting this story to 200+ reads, I will continue to upload every Sunday.

A/n- I'm going back and editing some of the earlier chapters. I'm not changing any of the content so it doesn't need to be re-read but it will (hopefully) be more pleasant to read. Hope you enjoy, any constructive criticism is useful :)