Part 12: The Sorting Ceremony

The sorting began without me paying too much attention to the names, only watching a few here and there.

'Davies, Roger'
'Ravenclaw'

'Diggory, Cedric'
'Hufflepuff'

It was quite tiring to hear them go through the names so I became lost in my own thoughts, only keeping an ear out for my own name.
Eventually they got to
'Holmes, Aysel'

I took a deep breath, calming the tingling nerves at the pit of my stomach. I sat on the stool before the hat was placed upon my head by Mcgonagall.

'Curious, very curious. I haven't had such an intelligent mind sat on this seat since I had to sort your mothers parents; I didn't get to sort your mother though, such a shame.'

What.

The hat couldn't have known my family, all of my family were muggles as the wizarding community had named them. It was impossible.
''Your family certainly aren't muggles, though your family aren't exactly who you think they are. Anyway, you have definitely inherited the Ravenclaw intelligence but I see you have inherited other traits from family members as well.''

Other family members?

'Other than your intelligence it appears that you take after two family members equally. The first being your father, he was a Gryffindor; you have his boldness, desire to seek danger and addictive personality.
But you take after your Mother's Father as well, he was the definition of a Slytherin; you have his independence, ambition and desire to understand everything about magic- especially the dark arts and slightly manipulative personality to allow you to get what you want.'

The hat was creating questions that were spinning around my mind: was I adopted? Who was my father? Who were my grandparents?

'Very inquisitive, you seem to have taken a liking to the Marauders -I remember sorting them. That external force would lead me to believe Gryffindor is best but the beliefs of your two brothers lends you more to Slytherin and Ravenclaw'

The hat seemed to itself.
'But where to put you?' The hat pondered.
Why do you even need to sort me? What's the point of this sorting system? It creates far more issues than it solves.

The hat thought to itself for a second before...

'Miss Holmes, I think the future of wizarding society hinges on you if you choose to fulfil the act of your thinking. Harry Potter may change the issues of today but you will solve the issues of the past, the present and the future.'

'Better be.....'
'Gryffindor'

Cheers erupted from the Gryffindor table, clapping their new member but as the silence drew down and I began to take off the hat....

'And Ravenclaw'

The hall began to fill with silence, they weren't cheering anymore but looking at me with awe and confusion.

'And Slytherin'

If I thought the hall couldn't be filled with any more silence, I was certainly wrong.

'Good luck, Miss Holmes' the hat concluded before going silent.
Chatter began to break out amongst the students, some looked enraged that the rules the school had stuck to for centuries had been broken.

'Silence' Dumbledore's commanding voice disrupted the students and chatter fell to none.

'Miss Holmes will be in the three houses she was placed in. May you please sit at the Gryffindor table for now, your arrangements can be discussed after the feast.'

I waked uncertainty towards the Gryffindor table whilst the next pupil was being placed.

Well, that was... eventful.