chapter three

This Chapter is dedicated to xSnowKiss because she was the author of one of the first fanfictions I've ever read and she is so insanely talented! Be sure to check her out.

The sun was just beginning to rise, still very low on the horizon. My watch told me the time was only 7:15, but I knew the sun would make itself present soon enough. The slight breeze felt good against my bare legs and I couldn't help but smile at the cotton candy colored sky; if I wasn't so eager to explore I would have gone to get my art materials and painted right then and there. I took a few more seconds to indulge in the beauty of it all before walking the short distance to the bus stop. I always been very fascinated with public transportation. You were surrounded by people who all had stories and experiences and fears; it's amazing to think about how all our lives are intertwined even for just minutes at a time. Or maybe I loved buses and things like them because my mother and father had met on one, fell instantly in love, and married three months later. Their love story was a unique one, one I had admired since I first heard it.

The bus pulled up and came to a halt in front of the stop. The doors opened with a creak and a large woman with a bright smile and big brown hair sat behind the wheel. "Goooood mornin' darlin', hop right on. I gotta tight schedule today." Her accent was American, no doubt about it.

I reciprocated her warm smile and handed her the money. "Where ya headed?" she questioned as she shut the doors and put the bus into gear.

"Just into the city." I replied.

"I can getcha there. Go ahead and take a seat, not too far back though, bathroom hasn't been doin' so hot lately." I scrunched my nose at the thought and took her advice, choosing a seat beside the window three rows back. There were maybe 15 others on the bus, all of whom seemed to be wearing work clothing, reminding me of how desperately I was going to need a job once the money my parents gave me for month one of university ran out.

I enjoyed watching the scenery change as we drove. Roads became smoother, trees were replaced with buildings, houses with offices, grass with concrete. Although I love nature, the city is something I was also interested in. There's more life in one block here than my whole hometown it seems like.

After about twenty minutes including all stops, we reached the downtown area so I threw my bag over my shoulder, thanked the nice driver, and stepped out onto the cobblestone sidewalk. To be honest I had no idea where to start. There were shops and stores and little cafes of every kind lining the streets. I supposed I should start somewhere to look for a new purse.

I began walking slowly, carefully memorizing every part of the street so I could recreate it on canvas later. I peered into the windows of every store I passed until I found the most perfect vintage resale shop on the whole earth. The store was called Nebula, and had gorgeous vintage pieces on display in the window. When I stepped inside the smell of old leather and vanilla surrounded me while the Arctic Monkeys played softly over the speakers. The place looked messy but I could tell it was just organized chaos. Anything you could imagine sat on the shelves or hung on the walls, from guitars to humongous hats to a huge jukebox in the corner. I was in love with it all.

A middle aged woman with short blonde hair approached me, carrying a whole armful of clothing that looked like it would fall out of her hands at any second. "Can I help you with anything?" She chirped.

"Oh, I'm just looking. But you wouldn't happen to have any purses or bags somewhere in here would you?" I said.

"Actually we do, I'll show you right when I can set these clothes down. Give me just a second," She answered, inching slowly towards the racks of hangers in the front corner. She threw the clothes right on the floor and sighed exasperatedly, then turned with her hands on her hips and a smile on her face. "Follow me,"