chapter twenty-seven

HARRY'S POV: 

It was just into the sixth Harry Potter movie when George finally fell asleep. He'd been fighting to stay awake, but after about thirty minutes in, I heard his light snores mix with his sister's. All night he had been reminding Jenson and I how he would be turning seven tomorrow and I could tell just how excited he was. Jenson's mum, dad, Collin, and I were still awake, though. Mrs. Arlington was propped against her husband and they seemed to be paying no attention to us. 

George was cuddled into my side, one fist bunching up the blanket he had and the other holding Jenson's hand. I let my eyes fall closed for just a second, until a second turned to a minute and I was caught in that weird state of being awake and asleep. 

"Harry," I heard someone say. I quickly opened my eyes and sat in an upright position. I looked around groggily and saw that it was Jenson's father who was talking to me.

"Uh, yes sir?" I answered while trying to wipe the sleep from my eyes.

Mr. Arlington removed his arm from his sleeping wife's shoulders and leaned forward with his elbows on his knees. "I'm just going to say this while we're the only ones conscious... Ya know I just really care a lot about Jenson. She's my baby girl. But I can tell she really, uh..." He coughed. "Jenson really likes you, Harry, and from what I can tell you do too." I nodded in response.

"Of course I do, Mr. Arlington. Jenson's great, but of course you already know that," I said with a small smile.

"Yeah, she is. But the thing is, Jenson's always been a bit of a romantic. She tends to create a bond with something or someone rather quickly and when that something or someone is gone she's devastated," he explained. "Please don't devastate my daughter, Harry. It's never easy to watch someone with so much light turn dark just like that." He snapped his fingers. "Take care of her, alright?"

I nodded my head slowly as I took in what he said. "Yes, sir. I wouldn't do anything to hurt her."

"Good," he replied gruffly as he stood from the couch. "Well I guess we should get everyone to bed, eh? Wake Jenson up and take George to bed for me."

I did as I was told and carried a sleeping George up the stairs with a zombie Jenson holding my belt loop from behind as I led the way. She followed me in and out of George's room and I grabbed her hand to lead her into her own bed.

"Harry, no," she murmured when I opened her door. Jenson wrapped her arms around my waist and leaned into me. I kissed the top of her head. She smelled of vanilla and it made me smile.

"What is it, Jen?"

She tilted her head to look me in the eye. "I want to sleep with you again tonight. Please?"

I sighed and looked down the hall. I was thinking about what Mr. Arlington had just told me a few minutes earlier. It was obvious he was very protective over her, and I did not want to get on his bad side after that. "I don't know if that's such a great idea, baby," I said. I rubbed my nose against hers and she tightened her grip around me.

"Harryyy," she whined drowsily. "Please, I won't ask you for anything ever again. I promise." Jenson lifted her head a bit more and kissed my lips. "Please. Please. Please," she whispered in between kisses.

It was hard to say no when she was begging like that, and she knew it too. To be honest, sleeping in the same bed as Jenson and waking up to her face was something I'd really begun to enjoy. So I caved. "Okay, okay. But if your dad asks you have to say you came in after I fell asleep, you got that?"

Jenson's smile spread across her face and I just rolled my eyes as we quickly tip toed into my room, both hoping we wouldn't be caught.

After collapsing onto the guest room bed, Jenson got me in the hold she always seemed to have on me when we slept (me on my back with her hanging onto me like a koala) (not that I mind). Jenson was asleep in minutes, and even though I was exhausted, I couldn't fall asleep. My brain just wouldn't stop thinking about the tiny speech that Jenson's father had given me and the girl who was cuddling me like her life depended on it.