chapter twelve

chapter twelve is dedicated to lagooniall because she gave us some really cool tips and she is so nice. + I've read a lot of her work. go check her out babes!

The zoo wasn't too far from Finley's Sports Bar and there weren't many people on the roads. Harry and I pulled up to the entrance of the zoo and he put the car in park. I went to open the door, but Harry locked it before I could.

"Are you honestly serious about breaking into this damn zoo?" he said lazily.

"Yes Harry, I already told you. Serious as a heart attack. Now come on." I unlocked the door and jumped out, motioning for him to follow me as he stared at me through the windshield of his car. Harry shook his head and ran his fingers through his hair.

"She's insane," I heard him mutter as he shut the door. "Jenson, what if there's security cameras or some shit?"

"Is Harry Styles really scared of 'security cameras or some shit?'" I asked with crossed arms.

"He is when something like this could cause him to lose his scholarship, and slash or get arrested."

"You've never been arrested?" I questioned.

"That isn't the point. The point is, I do not want to get arrested tonight."

"Live a little, Styles. We won't get caught."

"And if we do?"

I sighed. "Then you can say 'I told ya so.'" I looked around the premises to see if I could pick out any security cameras. It didn't look like a fancy zoo, so I guessed they didn't have money for security anyway. "You keep watch. And be quiet."

I turned away from Harry and approached the front gates and looked for the lock. When I spotted the rusty padlock I grabbed and examined it. Harry spoke from behind me, "Well, shucks. It's locked! Time to go home." I could hear his boots turn in the gravel.

"Not so fast!" I whispered shouted. I dug around in my pocket for a bobby pin and began to pick the lock, just like I had hundreds of times before. "My uncle was a locksmith, Harry, and I was his favorite niece. He taught me all of his tricks. I've picked more locks than you could ever imagine." A few more clicks and clangs and the padlock snapped open. Harry's jaw dropped like he had just been a witness to a miracle performed by Christ himself.

"What the hell, Jenson," he breathed. I dusted my hands off and shrugged with a smirk. "How often do you do that?"

"I'm not very good at keeping up with my keys," I giggled. "Sooo, more often than not."

"I didn't expect that."

"I'm like an onion, Harry. There are many, many layers of Jenson Arlington to be discovered,"

"Tell me about it." And with that I swung the iron gate open and marched inside the dark and deserted zoo with Harry trailing shortly behind me.

///

The night sounds of the animals were simply breathtaking. Without the mix of children screaming and parents scolding and intercoms scratching, you could recognize each sound of an individual animal. The dim lights that lined the paths in the zoo cast eerie shadows and I was amazed.

Harry, on the other hand, was being a sissy. "This is creepy as hell. Why did I agree to this?"

"Maybe it's because you couldn't pass up the opportunity to break some laws with me."

"I don't think so. I need a drink. I'll be back, I have some whiskey in my car."

"What do you keep your own personal stash of alcohol in your car and take it with you wherever you go?" I called at him as he left me alone.