chapter thirteen

this chapter's dedication goes to hemmingsinmyhood and keylimemalum. thank you for all the comments and support! we <3 you

The next two weeks seemed to go by fast for me. I focused on school and work, barely even having time to talk to Violet. I could tell she was getting worried about me, but before she could even ask I assured her that I was fine, I was just busy. And I was fine. I supposed it was a good thing that school and work had me booked because I didn't think about Harry often, not even a little bit, which I was incrediblely thankful for.

I saw him for the first time on the exact two week marker of our zoo fiasco. I was late to work and jogging down the sidewalk in flats with three books in my hands. He was coming directly towards me, talking on his phone, and when we saw me, he stopped right in his tracks and hung up on whoever he was talking to. He obviously had something to say to me, but I, on the other hand wasn't really in the mood for talking.

So, I huddled behind an old woman, acted like I didn't see him and headed towards Nebula. My heartbeat quickened and pounded in my ears. It only just occurred to me that he knew where I worked and would probably follow me when I walked through the door. When I rushed in, Macy was sitting at the front counter. I hopped over and ducked down.

"I'm not here." I said, crouching under the counter.

The the bells above the door chimed and I cringed at the sound of boots hitting the floor and the heavy breathing from running after me.

"Hi, uh, is Jenson here?" Harry addressed Macy.

"No, she doesn't work today," she lied easily, and I thanked the lord she was so good at it. "But I could take a message if you'd like."

"Uh, no that's okay." Harry said, sounding confused. "Thank you, anyways." I heard the bells ring out again, and Macy slid her stool back a bit so I could get out from under the counter.

"Why on earth would you hide someone so damn hot?" she gaped. I scowled at her mouth and she bit her lip and shrugged.

"You do not want to know. He's just an arse, that's why." I answered. "Now hop up, it's my day to work the register."

///

My schedule was jam packed the next day, and I didn't have time for any funny business, which, with my luck, would be the day that it really began.

I was listening to an audio book we were assigned to read by my Music 101 teacher because she was more into learning about composers than the music itself. I was also painting Wilber from Charlotte's Web for my Art class for a grade that I was attempting to get entered into a contest to be hung in the children's hospital downtown. I was sitting on my stool painting in the middle of the room when a harsh knock on the door echoed through the dorm.

I wasn't expecting anyone so I assumed the knock came from a pizza delivery guy coming to the wrong room. Our noisy next door neighbors loved to order pizza and give the wrong room number. "Wrong room! The girls next door ordered the pizza!" I called. I went back to painting, but the knocks repeated. I groaned, yanking out my ear phones and slamming my brush down. I had a deadline to make and distractions and interruptions weren't exactly what I needed at the moment.

I pulled open the door, not even thinking to look through the peep hole. "The girls next door can't memorize their room number-" I said, but the rest of my sentence caught in my throat as I looked at Harry leaning against the doorframe in front of me. Immediately I went to shut the door but he stuck his foot out, keeping it wedged open.

"Jenson!" he complained, putting his face up to the gap and looking down at me.

"Go away." I snapped at him. "I don't have time to deal with you right now."