chapter six

(harry)

It's the first time this semester that I'm eating in the cafeteria. Usually, I'm dreading the rain but grateful today because we don't have soccer practice now. It's just Niall and I with another teammate of ours at the table. I'm trying to pay attention to the conversation before me but I'm spacing out. With senior year, soccer and helping my brother with his homework, I'm beyond exhausted.

When I'm finally paying attention again, Selena and Gigi arrive at our table and nonchalantly take a seat there. Both of them look quite disgruntled and only say hi briefly. "Hi?" I say, giving them a questioning look.

"Not now, Harry." Gigi grits through her teeth.

"Excuse her." Selena looks up from her food. "It's this homecoming thing all of us are trying to put together." She continues and looks over at Gigi before continuing. "We have it easy. Taylor is with Karlie right now and I think Karlie has collectively had more caffeine today than her entire life." She rolls her eyes before taking another bite of her food.

"That's weird. I didn't know you were guys in the graduation committee." Niall says which is what I'm also wondering. Usually the graduating committee handles things like these and as far as I knew, only Karlie is in the committee.

Gigi and Selena explain to us what the situation is and that not only did Liz Xander agree to Karlie's plan but also given her free rein. Obviously, there is a catch to it. Karlie only has half the graduating committee members to help her out and knowing how much of a perfectionist Karlie is, she must be beyond stressed and very hyper. Another catch is that the homecoming dance only welcomes couples. So, everyone has to have a date. In Liz's words, I don't care if a girl comes with another girl, a boy comes with a boy or if someone's date is a goat. We're only selling tickets in pairs.

"Okay, wow." Our friend, Trey, who's sitting with us say with his eyebrows and shaking his head.

"Yeah." Niall says. "I need a date quick. When's the dance?"

Selena looks at eagerly and answers. "In exactly a week." She giggles and adds a wink.

"Okay, so, Niall and Sel are going together. I'm with Karlie." Gigi says diverting her attention from Selena and Niall to me. "I take it you're asking Tay?"

I scoff. "Yeah sure." The lone assumption that I don't have a date offends and makes me roll my eyes.

Gigi scoffs back and smirks. "Yeah, sorry. I'm sure Tay has a long list of boys dying to take her anyway."

"Yeah, and Harry's the front of the line." Niall slaps my back, chuckling.

"So, you and Selena. What are you two?" I know how to hit a nerve between the two of them. They've been fooling around since sophomore year but never got around to 'defining' part of their 'relationship'. I smirk as there's silence around the table. "Yeah, thought so." I nod and look over at Gigi.

"Seriously, go as friends at least. Tay's working her ass off and I don't want her to miss it because of a stupid 'rule'."

"Yeah, yeah. If she needs a date," I pause and roll my eyes. "I'll graciously let her take me as hers." Without even wanting to, I smirk as I finish my sentence.

"I'd take her." Trey chimes in. "Taylor Swift, right?" He asks, looking at all of us around the table. "She's hot." With a sheepish smile, he says.

"Cool!" Selena claps her hands and looks behind Trey and I. "Because she's coming here right now." She beams as Tay takes seat between Selena and Gigi.

"What's up?" Tay asks as she opens her Tupperware, glancing at all of us round the table. It's a rare day when I see Tay wearing her prescription glasses. I assume that the stress of planning this homecoming dance must also be "Oh." She lets out as her eyes land on Trey. "I'm Taylor." She gives an awkward smile to Trey.