chapter nine

(tay)

I definitely need to find someone to tutor soon. After homecoming, I'm going to need to start saving up money if Selena and I were going to treat everyone in the Art Club. Trying to relax myself, I put other happier thoughts forward but life's so hectic. Everything is so stressful. I've given up on even wearing eyeliner today and just grabbed my lip tint and rushed out the door.

As per usual, Gigi and Selena are waiting in, in front of my house in the car. "Good morning!" I say to them, getting in. "Oh fuck!" I shout. "Have you guys thought of your homecoming dresses already?"

"Yep." Selena and Gigi say one after another. "Locked and sealed." Selena adds and turns around to me as I sink into the car seat. "Don't tell me we're 4 days before the dance and you still haven't."

I scream into my backpack to confirm her suspicions. How could I forget the most important thing for myself at the dance? "Harry was asking me like on Saturday or something but I was like whatever because I thought I could find something yesterday but yesterday I forgot." All the words just flood out and I'm frowning now. "I'm gonna wear my shit-show of a black dress that I've been saving for a dinner date."

"Little black dresses are cute." Gigi smiles as she looks at me by the rearview mirror. She's just being nice to me or she just wants me to stop stressing her out.

"How hot are your dresses?" I ask. "On a scale of 1-10"

"One." They both lie in unison.

"That means it's at least an eight!" I exclaim. "Oh, fuck my life." I normally wouldn't care so much but it's my senior year and I really want who I am to reflect in how I dress. How could I go to college without being confident in myself? This is so much more than just a silly homecoming dance or a dress. The two of them must've seen me look a little too sad.

"We can ditch." Selena offers. "We can go a town over and look for the perfect dress!" She beams.

"Yesssssss" Gigi encourages.

I make a dismissive sound and let the idea die. I'm not going to wreck my friends' education for my dress. Although, I'm still very worried about my outfit for homecoming. I silently freak out in the car ride while Selena and Gigi both try to console me. I also don't want Harry to get an opportunity to mock how I look at the dance. That little black dress will make me look like I'm off to a ballet recital. It's too plain for an occasion I've been working my ass off for. I'm determined to look my best.

When we get to school, I don't talk to Selena or Gigi and just make my way to my locker. To my dismay, Harry's already at his locker. As I'm opening my locker, he closes his and waits for me. "What?" I snap. He looks taken aback when I glance back at him.

"Really wouldn't wanna see you in the mornings." Harry mutters, looking away. "Look, my mom's getting a little too hyped about homecoming. I'm not." He says and pauses for a bit to look at me. "She says that my tux will be mostly black and with a splash of colour on my tie. And that it won't look too formal or old-looking. So, please feel free to choose a wonderful carefree dress." He says all this monotonously with his eyes looking at the corner, probably reciting what his mom said.

I groan, remembering my dress or lack of. "I don't have a dress yet."

"That's weird. You always wore those ugly sundresses back in the day." He shrugs.

I gasp. How dare he call them ugly. Although, he may be a little right. "Shut up. Skinny jeans boy." I'm eyeing him from top to bottom with a dirty look. "None of them are good for homecoming." After I shut my locker, I look at Harry and frown. "I have to look great."