chapter twentytwo (1/3)

(harry)

We go to Karlie's house every Halloween, almost. Sometimes, Halloween falls on a weekday and Karlie asks us to forget Halloween has passed and celebrate with her as if it's actual Halloween. It's a quirk of hers. It makes sense since she's an only child. Karlie's always had things her way and she's certainly got the determination for it. She lives in a mansion-like house. Her backyard used to make me extremely jealous when we were kids. It's huge. There's a conservatory attached to the back of the house which is where the night always brings us at the end of the party.

When Taylor and I get there, we have trouble getting in because Karlie's house is in one of hilly neighbourhoods and within a gated community. We're waiting for her to answer her buzzer while we're outside the gate of her neighbourhood.

We drive past the playground we used to play in when we were kids. Just then, a wave of memories hit me and I'm smiling like an idiot remembering every single moment -- everything I'd felt back then. It feels like everything's still the same when I'm in the car with Taylor but I realise the situation now and it makes my heart sink a little.

"TAY!!" Karlie finally buzzes.

"Hurry!!" Taylor giggles which is the most she's reacted in our 30-minute drive. We're let through into the community.

When we get to Karlie's house, Taylor keeps saying how amazing the decorations are which they are and she also keeps laughing every second as she gawks at the decorations. Karlie gets more and more extravagant each year with her Halloween-themed house. We get to the backyard and there are fairy-lights all around with un-carved pumpkins on the wooden tables which I assume will be tonight's activities as well as bowls of candies. She also has numerous black sheets hanging over the doors in her house as well as fake spider webs in every corner. The lights in the kitchen, living room and the conservatory are dimmer than they normally would be to keep in line with the Halloween theme.

"So!" Taylor plops down onto the couch in the living and Selena follows suit."Are we gonna get this party started?" She looks up at Karlie who's looking at her phone.

"Uh, yeah." She nods, still looking at her phone. "Just, gotta do a few more things." Karlie finally looks at all of us -- me at the doorway and the rest of them squeezed on the couch.

"MORE?!" Selena pouts, thinking about all the work she'll have to do.

"Don't worry." Karlie laughs and puts her phone away. Her voice is quieter and more chill than she normally is and that causes me to raise an eyebrow at her. "I got it. I'll be back in an hour. But feel free to start eating and all that." She nods and rushes out the door.

"That was weird." Niall says after a time of silence. "I thought we were done with the prep stuff." Selena nods, agreeing with him. Taylor gets up from the couch and looks at the two of them, shrugging her shoulders. I almost forget that she's ignoring me. "Well, okay. I guess you guys must be hungry." Niall says, getting up and glancing at Taylor and I.

"It's okay. We can help ourselves." I say and shoo him and Selena off to the conservatory. This cues giggly Selena to run off to the conservatory and Niall laughs, chasing her.

The kitchen counters are packed with bowls and plates of chips, dips and other chicken wings. I grab a paper plate for myself and hand another one to Taylor which she takes but not after a moment of hesitation. I walk over to the wings' plate and help myself with some. Taylor puts the plate back and starts pouring herself a drink. I'm trying not to watch her but I realise she's mixing vodka into her cola.

"I didn't know you started doing that." I say as I serve myself some food.

"I didn't know you were dating someone." Tay snaps back at me. She must've regretted that tone because she quickly composes herself as she turns away from me.

I stare at her for a while as she drinks, back turned to me and everything. "I'm not." I say and put my plate down. "What are you saying?" I stand beside her and pour myself the same mix as her.

"It's nothing. I'm sorry." She starts to make her way out the kitchen but not before taking away my plate. I'm left alone in my confusion again. I always feel like I'm watching her leave.