chapter eight (1/2)

(harry)

I feel myself falling and jolt up. My eyes are barely open but something feels different. I look down at what I was being covered with and it's a fuzzy comforter. Then, I realise that I'm in Tay's house. Looking around, I find myself in a more familiar place than I woke up thinking.

Some things are slightly different from the last time I'd been here, like the pictures that are framed are mostly of Tay as a baby or her childhood. Before, as I recall, they used to be of family trips they'd made to Disney World, Niagara Falls and all that. I walk around the living room, trying to notice all the differences when Tay's voice enters the room.

"Hey, what's up?" She comes and hands me a cup of tea. "Actually, don't answer that. Your breath probably smells as shit as you look right now." She remarks with a sly smile, taking a sip of her own tea.

She's also bare-faced I assume because she's still in her PJs but her hair's still wet. I debate over whether I want to say something back or not but decide against it. On the off chance that she's right, I just take a sip of my tea.

"You know what I realised?" She asks, plopping down onto the couch. "I could've stayed over at Selena's." She says with a funny look.

I nod. How did that not occur to both of us? Selena lives only a couple of blocks from my house. I suppose knocking at someone else's house at 2am just isn't polite so it's good we didn't think of it. I follow Tay's lead and plop down on the couch. "About homecoming." I start and look at her.

"About homecoming." She repeats and takes another sip. "I bought two tickets already and wanted to know if Mr Popular would wanna go with me." With such nonchalance, she glances over at me and turns to the TV which she's just switched on.

"Yeah, I guess I could be extra charitable this year." I say and turn to the TV too.

"Just as friends though."

I scoff. "Maybe less than friends since I'm doing charity."

After the cup of tea, I decide to head back home and salvage whatever time I have left of my Saturday. When I get to my car, I find at least 5 parking tickets. I mutter a few colorful choice of words at Tay but I realise I didn't even thank her for the cup of tea or her couch and comforter.

When I get back home, I find Connor at the dining table, doing his homework. He's looking all stressed with both his hands in his hair and grunting. "Hey." I say, placing my hand on his back.

His eyes light up when he sees me and that certainly boosts up my day. "Where have you been?!" He asks

"I was at Tay, I mean, Taylor's house." I reply lamely. And almost as if on cue, my mom enters the room. She has the smuggest smile on her face as she sets the jar of orange juice and glasses on the table.

"Taylor?" Connor and mom both say with raised eyebrows in unison.

"Yeah, I almost crashed us both and she freaked out and wouldn't let me come back home." I explain quickly, and try not look at mom directly. I hear her gasp and I can feel her eyes burning me.

"Harry!" I hear mom's voice stern and firm. She's rarely ever reprimanding Connor and I so this is especially embarrassing. "You should be more careful about that! How can you be so reckless? You could've put yourself and TAYLOR in danger?!" She raises her voice and glances at Connor, indicating that he should leave the room. "Answer me, Harry!" She shouts and stares at me with concerned eyes rather than angry ones.

"Mom, I'm so sorry." I say sincerely and stare a her. I realise how dangerous last night could've been and I feel awful. "Taylor and I are fine."

She pinches the bridge of her nose and closes her eyes. "That's not the point, Harry." She sounds exasperated like Tay last night. "If something had happened.." She pauses and looks at me. "God forbid. If something had. I'd never forgive myself for letting you and Taylor go like that." Now, I feel even worse for not realising how scared mom must feel.

Mom takes away my car privileges for an entire month which is problematic because I'd probably need one for homecoming. I shake off that thought and fall into my bed. So much for salvaging my Saturday, I think before drifting off to sleep again.

I don't know how long my nap is but I'm woken up by several texts from Liam and Niall. They ask me to the soccer pitch to which I'm delighted at the thought of. Despite playing almost every lunch, something about the game just gives me a thrill like no other.

I'm heading towards the front door when I hear Connor call for me. "Yes?" I say and stop myself  right at rhe door.

"I need help for my Biology stuff." He says from other room in the house because it echoes. I look around to find the source. "The mid-terms are next month, Haz!!" He sounds panicked but I'm rolling my eyes. Connor always gets worked up over his studies when he's a naturally gifted kid and is definitely smarter than I am than I was his age.

"Why don't you write down some problems you have and I'll come back and help you out." I say and rush out the door.

///////////////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
second part will be up in a few days because this part was also too long and i wanted to balance it out with chapter 7! please tell me what you think !!! your feedback is very encouraging ~~