chapter fourteen

(taylor)

We stand there wordlessly as I take a sip of my drink until Harry returns to my side for the first time tonight. God knows where he's been and what kind of sins he's committed before coming to me. "Hi." He says to me breathlessly and snatches my drink from my hand, taking a sip.

"Hey --" My forehead creases as I'm about to whine but he interrupts me and starts introducing himself to Sarah. He has a charming smile on his face, showing his dimples. He has his hand out for her to shake.

Sarah's face is all flustered as he talks. She shakes his hand and now she's smiling wide. I don't even think she's looked at me once since he's arrived. "I'm Sarah." She says with practically heart eyes, looking at him.

"And how do you know each other?" Harry asks her, glancing over at me. I must look annoyed or left out because his eyes change when they meet mine -- kinder, more loving even.

"We're in the art club together." I say plainly. "I'll leave you two to the introductions." I leave after giving them a tight smile. The audacity of some people! How dare Harry just sweep in do things his Harry way! So annoying! I'm even more upset when I realise he'd taken my drink.

I wait a couple of minutes before going to get another drink. Harry and Sarah are both not there anymore which relieves me because that would've annoyed me to no extent. "Heyyy" I hear a voice near me say. I'm too busy pouring myself a drink to turn around and to check whose it is.

"What?" I say before turning around. I'm slightly stunned to see a wide smiling a familiar boy before me. "Oh Trey?" I ask because I'm not even sure if that's really his name. He nods and walks up closer to me. I can tell he's tipsy but I can't tell by what. We aren't serving alcoholic drinks. We can't.

"You look so beautifu-" He hiccups as he's talking, right on my face. I only step a little and smile. "Trey, are you alright?" I ask before downing my entire cup and holding him to stand.

He's not completely out of it because he apologizes for being in a tipsy state. "It's okay." I say as I let him sit down on a chair. "Don't let any of the chaperones see you this way though." I say as I'm about to leave.

"Taylor, stay." He slurs and looks up at me. I don't want to but he's really the only company I have right now so I take a seat next to him. He smiles to me goofily. "You're so nice. And you're so pretty."

I tug the a strand of my hair behind my hair as I look at the dance floor. I act as if I don't hear him because I can't tell if he's being genuine or not. "Where's that good-for-nothing date of yours?" He's probably chuckling because he remembers it's Harry. I laugh a little too.

"Yeah," I start and that's when Harry comes again, taking a seat next to me. "And here he is." I say to Trey with a nod.

"I'll be right back." I say to Trey which is lie and don't look at Harry at all. I return to the refreshments table and pour myself another cup. This is all I have tonight; this refreshments table. When I'm done downing an entire cup, I start pouring another but I feel Harry behind me.

"What?" I snap and it comes out angrier than I intend to sound. He looks taken aback by my tone. He scratches the back of his neck and looks at with me with a twisted expression as if he's confused and pained all at once. I wait a couple of moments before turning around to pour myself more.

Harry snatches the empty cup and grabs my hands, looking at me meaningfully. "C'mon we should at least dance. I only have you tonight." His smile seems almost bashful even though his words sound like a smug Harry. I'm still lost in him as he takes my hand to the dance floor.

My hands are on his shoulders as he slowly puts his on my waist. We're both silent as we dance. I'm looking at him and I'm wondering how we even got here. I realise I've been staring at him so I look away and I can see him smile again. "What?" I ask, feeling a similar smile spread.

"It's nothing." He says softly, just for me to hear.  We're so close and that fact's got weak to my knees. "You look really ---"

"Slutty?" I interrupt with my eyebrows raised, looking at him. He shakes his head and smiles at me again. He looks so sincere. "Really," He pauses and looks directly at me. Right into my eyes, making me nervous. "really good." He says flatly and I guess I must look disappoint because he adds, "The best."

"Okay." I nod and give him a small smile. I rest my head on his shoulder. My arms around his neck. It closes up any distance between us. I think I can feel his heart beating. Why am I doing this with Harry with all people?

I feel his arms on my waist become slightly tighter. "Styles." I whisper. He makes a sound, telling me he hears. "Nothing." I shake my head lightly.

We both let go after the the third or so slow song later. I don't know how many songs but time had slowed down then and it's a strange feeling in my chest. I can't shake it off. We're both standing next to each other, waiting for the announcement of the homecoming king and queen. I hardly care about these things but I'm busy stealing glances at Harry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
one more homecoming chapter left!!