chapter thirtysix (2/2)

(harry)

"Just tell me if you don't want me to be with Sarah." I finally say. This makes Taylor look up at me again, surprised. Frankly, I don't see why she's all that shocked. Everyone knows I like her. I always have and now that I feel like she knows it too. I don't want to be beating around the bush.

Taylor rolls her eyes, shaking her head. She brings her legs up on my bed, folding her legs. "Harry, you can't do that. You know I won't ask you to do that."

"Why not?"

"I'm not a bitch."

"You fool me." She draws a sharp breath and smacks my legs as she laughs. "Okay." I laugh too.

"If you don't like her. Don't make her think you do. Harry, you're going to have to live with the fact that you're gonna break some hearts."

"Tell me how you live with it."

"I've never broken anyone's heart."

"You break mine all the time." I say and it's like I've given her some brand new information. There's hurt written all over her face as if I've just slapped her across the face. "Taylor.." I start to say, wanting to take back what I've just said.

"Harry." She interrupts.

"When are we ever going to have this conversation, Taylor?" I begin to say. "Do you have to get intoxicated every single time you kiss me? When am I ever going to get sober Taylor to tell me what she really thinks of me?"

"We're going to college at the end of this year, Harry. You're getting into a relationship with Sarah right now. You fractured your shoulder, for fuck's sake." She gets from my bed, pacing back and forth. All I can do is watch her, running her hands through her hair. "Clearly, you're in a mess."

"I don't understand what any of that has to do with us. Except Sarah."

"It means you don't know what you want." She snaps. "We both leave for college, Harry. You were supposed to be playing for a scholarship but now you don't have that. And you're dating a sophomore who you don't have feelings for and you're asking me about my feelings for you." Her voice comes down strained, trying to sound calm.

"I'm just tired of waiting."

"Me too."

//

For a while, we sit in silence; on my bed. Our backs up against my headboard. It feels natural when my hand reaches for Taylor's, taking her hand to mine. Without even saying anything, she intertwines her fingers with mine. I don't look at her but only stare forward at a stupid poster I'd made for a class of mine years ago. When I look at her, she's looking at the same poster with a slight smile.

Taylor turns to me, maintaining the same smile. Her eyes look like they're searching something on my face. She brings up her other hand to my face, frowning.

"Are you really okay?" She asks in an almost whisper, tracing some of the cuts on my face. It's the cut on my right cheek first. Then, it's the cut near my eyebrow. She stops at my mouth. My head feels like it's going to explode at how close she is. I can feel her breathing as her thumb touches the cut gently.

"I'm fine."

"You're so stupid."

"I know. You told me that."

She freezes and pulls herself away from me. "Before I kissed you." She reminds me as if I could forget.

"And after." I feel myself smirk, tightening my grip on her hand. "You kissed me."

"I don't want you to be with Sarah." Taylor whispers again; her breathe touching me. I'm nodding, in a trance; staring into her eyes. I'm completely head over heels with Taylor and it's only dawning on me now.

"Can you kiss me now?" My voice comes out more dry and desperate than I want it to; making her laugh. But she does so anyway.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

note: WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT HARRY'S ALBUM?!?!?