chapter eleven

(harry)

Because I need my car for homecoming, mom said I'd need to 'earn' it. I didn't argue with her because this is my best shot to get it back. I get a ride from Niall back home and wait for Connor to come back home from whatever the hell he's up to after school. I have to help out around the house till homecoming while our housekeeper is gone. I also have to stay with Connor to do school work together and teach him something he isn't familiar with. I hardly think the latter will happen though. Connor is smarter than me in every way. He's in every advanced class for all his classes and I was only in two advanced classes out of the seven classes I had.

I'm cleaning all the kitchen counters which are a mess from breakfast and unload the dishwasher before mom gets home. I even manage to set the table for dinner, feeling accomplished, I'm sitting in the lounge and watching TV. Of course, my relaxation is short-lived when Connor comes home. He decides that he wants to start his homework immediately. See, this is the kind of determination I didn't and don't have. I think I've always started my homework at least 2 hours before bed which is terrible and I hope Connor never follows my footsteps.

He's quieter than usual as I set my books on the dinner table. I decide not to interrogate him because he'd tell me if he wanted me to know what's up. So, I start my work and he does his own. Without us fucking around like yesterday, I actually end up finishing my work within an hour or so. I'm looking at Connor and he's struggling I can tell as he rubs his forehead with his head down. "What's up?" I ask casually, pretending to look at my laptop.

Connor doesn't say something at first. When I look at him, he finally looks up from his textbook. "I don't even understand Biology." He admits. Same here, I want to say. Despite the fact that I've learnt all these things, I don't have the confidence to teach Connor. I try my best though as I answer his questions. He seems to feel better about this whole ordeal and by the time mom gets home, he's yammering on about something that happened in class. "Could you help me with Biology more often?" Connor asks as I'm about to enter my room.

"I'll try." I nod. "I'm not so confident though." I admit, finally. "I'll ask one of my friends in my class." Connor nods and the fact that he's unashamed to ask for help makes me feel unworried about him. "Is your teacher that bad? What about the other students?"

"It's just awkward asking the teacher. And yeah, my friends are relying on me but I—"

"You're not confident enough." I nod and he nods. I guess my brother and I more similar than I thought.

(taylor)

Homecoming is tomorrow and it's already 7pm now. Some of the people from the Art Club are here set up the murals we've painted and there are people from the graduating committee hanging around, putting up decorations. I say hanging around because they work for 15 minutes and mess around for the rest of time.

"These two are too close." I say to Sarah and the other members. We all lift the huge canvas on the count of three. We almost bump into a committee member and I try to sneak a glance at Karlie. I'm surprised her head hasn't exploded because all the members Liz gave her are completely useless. Except Liam maybe. He's always working when I see him.

After setting up the murals and other artworks we all made for the dance, I assign some of the Art Club members who are seniors to direct the decorations to the committee members. As the some of the members leave, Sarah looks at me expectantly. "Uh," I start because I don't know what else she can help with. "Sarah, it's alright. You should head home." I offer, looking at my watch. Sarah's a sophomore and one of the more vocal members of the club during the homecoming design period.

Sarah has a tight smile and nods her head. I can see her trying not to let her smile falter. I don't understand why she'd feel bad though because all the committee members are seniors and we genuinely didn't want to bother the others but Liz hadn't given any us other choice. "I'll see you tomorrow." I smile at her, putting my hand on her shoulder.

"Sure!" Her eyes sparkle when she looks up at me. She's such a tiny girl, I realize. "See you then!" Her chirpy voice is noticeable again as she speaks and quickly leaves.

After that, I try to find Selena. She's supposed to be with the other members of the Art Club but they'd finished earlier. When I find her, she's sitting down with Karlie outside the school gym where all the preparations are being done. "Sel, you done?" I ask to reconfirm.

She nods but gives me a look like Karlie's having mental breakdown. I sit on the other side of Karlie and giver her a light hug. "You're doing great and need to stop overthinking this! Tomorrow will be so fun!" I whisper to her.

Today, Karlie drops Selena and I off in her car. I'm excited to be home because Delilah, my step-mom, had texted me that my homecoming dress would be here. My smile is wider when I see that mom is home. She's in the living room, looking at something on the couch.

"Mom!" I'm walking towards and see that my homecoming dress is what she's staring at.

She looks at me with a blank face like I've done something wrong. "What's this?"

"I asked dad for a homecoming dress?"

"How could you?" She has an accusatory tone which stings me. This is what I've always been afraid of.