Starting Over

Jamilla:

I woke up today, with a horrible headache. "I'm confused, I thought vampires didn't experience this stuff." I thought, to myself. I woke up, and got dressed using my awesome vampire tricks. Then it happened, what I feared most. Alyssa was awake, and I could smell her blood. I wanted to feed on her. Her blood smelled incredible. I held my breath. No way in hell would I hurt my sister. I got downstairs, mom and dad were waiting for me. No surprise there. "We need to discuss a few things." Dad said, pointing me to a chair. I sat down, then mom and dad followed behind me. I sighed. These were my parents all right, never letting me enjoy life. "We don't want you making the same mistakes we did, Jamilla." Dad said, grabbing mom's hand. "First rule, don't kill for fun. Rule two, vervain. Vervain is like poison to vampires. Avoid it. Also, avoid fires and wood stakes. They will kill you." Mom said. She looked at dad, making sure she forgot nothing. "That seems good for now, we know you already learned a lot. Kol has been teaching you, hasn't he?" I nodded. "Yeah, he's taught me compulsion, how to feed properly, and some cool vampire tricks." Mom and dad looked at each other, after I said that. "One more rule, never ever use any compulsion on your sister." Dad said, seriously. I agreed with them. "I would never hurt Alyssa." I said, unsure if that was true. "That's the thing. When someone bleeds, you'll smell their blood. It's hard to distract yourself, especially if you're a ripper." Dad said. "Daddy, I am not a ripper though. I'll be fine, I promise." I said, raising my voice. "Well, we want you to stay away from her for a while. Until you can get better at controlling." Dad said, standing up.  My own parents want me to stay away from my sister. Great. "She's my sister." I said, shouting to dad as he left the room. He flew right back in and raised his voice at me "But she's human. If you want to keep her safe, you stay the hell away from her. I don't want this happening to her too." He then flew back out of the room, going off on his own. Mom was still in the room with me. "I guess he's right. I'll go hang with Kol, if that's alright." I said, getting up. Mom didn't stop me, which means I was allowed to go see Kol. When I got out of the house, I reached for my phone. I dialed Kol, as I hopped into my car. "Hello, Jamilla, how are you love?" He asked, happily. "Kol, my parents want me to stay away from Alyssa for a while. Can I come over?" I heard his tone drop. He cared about both of us, and if I had to stay away from Alyssa, he would too. "I'm sorry to hear that love, they just want what's best for her though, and yes, you're always welcome here." He said, still keeping himself calm, he knew I was pissed at my dad. "Okay, I'll be there soon." I said, then hung the phone up.

I arrived to Kol's house about forty five minutes later. He heard the car and rushed out. He opened the door before I could even shut off the car. "Hello darling'," he said, helping me out of the car. "Hi." I said back, closing the door of the car. I turned around then, and kissed him. Our kiss lasted about twenty seconds. "What do you want to do today?" He asked, releasing from the kiss. "Can we explore the woods?" I asked, then added, "I really want to use my vampire tricks!" Kol laughed and kissed the top of my head. "Of course we can. Come, let's go now." He said, pulling me into the woods. We began to walk, holding hands. "So, you like being a vampire?" He asked. Kol never really asked me my opinion about that before. I looked up at him, and smiled. "Yeah. I always wanted this, my parents didn't however. Neither does Alyssa, so I am going to protect her at all costs." Kol looked at me, and we both stopped walking for a moment. "I may not have gotten along with your parents back in the days, but I promise you, I will always protect you, and Alyssa." He said, reaching for my hands. "I wanted to give you this, when I brought you the necklace, but I left it at home." I looked puzzled, I had no idea what he was talking about. He pulled out a little box and opened it. Inside the box, was a beautiful ring. It was real, but not an engagement ring. Kol picked the ring up with his pointer finger and his  thumb. He took my left hand, and slid the ring on my finger. "This is not a proposal darling, it's my promise to you." Kol said, looking into my face. I started to get tears in my eyes. He wiped those tears before the could reach my cheek. I hugged him tightly. "I love you so much." I said, still hugging him. "I love you so much, too." He replied, releasing the hug, and kissing me. "Let's keep going." Kol said, grabbing my hand. We continued to walk, and talk, and laugh. It was a beautiful morning. We made our way back to my car, and I kissed Kol goodbye. "Be safe. Call me when you get home." He said, kissing me several times. "I love you." I said, getting into my car. "I love you too." He responded, closing the door for me. I pulled out slowly, as he watched me leave, and gave me a goodbye wave. I started to head home, and about ten minutes into my forty five minute drive, it began to pour. "Great, just what I need." I said, to myself obviously. I pulled over, even as a vampire, it was too hard to see. I reached for my phone, and called Alyssa. "Hello? Jamilla, are you okay?" She asked, in a quiet and nervous voice. "Alyssa," I said, in a worrying voice. "Can you come get me?" I asked. "I can't leave the house, mom and dad will question me." Alyssa said, as if she were grounded or something. "Just tell them you're going out with Tyler." I said, hoping that would convince her. "Text me the location, I'm on my way." She said, before hanging up. I texted Alyssa, and waited several minutes for her to show up.

Alyssa finally found me, but by the time she got here, the rain had stopped, I could have headed home. When Alyssa got out of the car, she noticed the rain had stopped. "I guess I'm a slow driver." She said, getting out of the car. "It's fine, want to go explore the wet woods a bit?" I asked. "Totally! I need some nature." Alyssa said, heading into the woods. We began our adventure, Alyssa never really goes into the woods, or at least not that I knew of. I guess now that she was dating a werewolf/hybrid, she actually went into the woods. I watched as she carefully stepped over each fallen tree, trying not to fall. We were in pretty far, when we came across this beautiful opened meadow type of thing. She just smiled, and ran into the center. I followed her. "This is beautiful. I want to bring Tyler here some day." She said, smiling very big. "Why don't you?" I asked. She looked at me, then we both knew the answer. "Parents." We said, at the same time, causing us to laugh. We were interrupted by the rustling of leaves. "I'm scared." Alyssa said, pulling closer to me. "Don't be, its probably just a squirrel." I said to Alyssa. Just then a familiarly unpleasant face appeared. "Or a snake." Alyssa said, as Caroline came out of the woods. I laughed, but then got hit with the sensation of fear. We paused, all three of us. I looked at Caroline, who seemed to also be afraid. "Remember us?" I said, squinting my pissed off eyes toward her. She then smirked. "Of course I do. You're those two pathetic wimpy Salvatore humans." She said laughing, not realizing what she just said. "Wait, if I snapped your necks, but you're both here, that means," She paused, and began to back away. "You're vampires?" She asked. "Well, vampire. Not plural, seeing as I'm not." Alyssa said, correcting Caroline. "How is that even possible?" Caroline asked. "Wait. Didn't you go to college. Aren't you supposed to be smart?" Alyssa said, now pissing Caroline off even more. "I'm kidding." Alyssa said. Caroline vamped her way to Alyssa. "Listen here, you smart little bitch. I know your parents, they aren't like this. So I am confused on why they have such bitchy children." Caroline said. I stepped in front of Caroline, so she couldn't hurt Alyssa. "Listen here. You're gonna turn around, and walk away." I said to Caroline. She laughed. "Who's gonna make me? Your weak sister?" She asked, sarcastically. "Actually, I deal with the pigs." I said, giving my turn with the sassy remarks. Sure, Alyssa and I could be bitches, but we get stuff done. Caroline stepped back a few inches. "Okay, little girl. You want to fight? Let's fight." She said. I looked to Alyssa quickly. "Just one minute, bitch." I said to Caroline. I turned around to Alyssa. "Listen, I need you to remember this. Alyssa, I love Kol, and I know you think I love him more than you, but you're the only one who can bring me back." I said to Alyssa, worry filling my eyes. "Bring you back from where?" She asked, but I didn't respond. I saw the fear hit her face, and she backed far away from the fight. I turned to Caroline. "The only rule is, you don't hurt Alyssa." I told her. She smirked at me. "Deal. Can we fight now?" She asked, acting like she was braver. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I charged at her. She charged at me. We did the usual vampire fight, throwing each other, and shoving each other. Finally, Caroline pushed me down, and ran fast to get a stick. I was so scared. I closed my eyes, and I did what I had planned to do, I shut off my humanity off. Alyssa managed to distract Caroline. She threw a stick at her, then began to run, she didn't want to leave me, but she was beyond scared. I got up, and with two quick moves, I picked up a stick, and I shoved it into Caroline's heart. I watched as her body turned gray, and she shed one last tear. I then threw her body on the ground. It was finished. "Goodbye bitch." I said, smirking. I was almost satisfied, when all of the sudden, I smelled blood. I got thirst bad. I charged toward the scent, and didn't stop until I caught it. Laying on the ground was Alyssa. She had fallen, and now put herself in danger. I tried to control it, I did. I charged at her, and started to rip her open. She screamed louder than I had ever heard, and I didn't stop. I kept feeding, until something hit my back, and I fell over. I realized it was vervain, because within two seconds of the vervain hitting me, I fell to the ground, unconscious.