Graduation Day

Jamilla:

I have been waiting for this day, and I couldn't believe it was finally here. I am finally graduating. I looked at my clock, and realized it was already twelve noon. "Shit." I said, getting up quickly. I put a dress on, it was tight, and blue, and very expensive, so I had to look my absolute best. I took a good hour getting ready, my hair was curled, I have my graduation cap and gown on, and my teeth were brushed. "Jamilla, you graduate in two hours, we need to leave." My mom shouted up stairs. "Just a second!" I shouted back, the grabbed my necklace from Kol and put it on. I looked in the mirror really quick, and smiled. I looked good, and I felt good. Today will be epic.

I got to my school, and instantly got anxiety. I saw several people, families, friends, and teachers all gathered in different areas. Mr. Jamaica, our principal, gathered us graduates and he began to make a speech.

"Kids." He started out, he always called us kids, no matter how old we were. "I want you all to know how proud I am that each one of you made it to graduation day. Look at the crowd, it is a happy, proud crowd, ready to watch you amazing children graduate, and move on with your lives. I wish you all the best of luck, now go out there, and make this school proud!" The entire class roared happily, and we made our way onto the field where they had several chairs for us to sit in. We got set up rather quick, each of us sitting in alphabetical order, and soon, the ceremony began.

Our superintendent, Ms. Joann Franks, was on the stage with Mr. Jamaica. The entire crowd got very quiet, before anyone even said a word. Ms. Franks made her way to the microphone, and opened with the greatest words us seniors could possibly hear: "Let's hear for the graduating class of two-thousand seventeen!" The audience applauded, and many cheers and whistles were heard. "I would like to also thank each one of you, for taking the time to support our students. These kids have grown so much over the past four years, and it has been an honor to watch them all grow into responsible young adults." I smiled, someone finally called us young adults, which we were. "We would like to begin our graduation ceremony by allowing some students to say a few words. The first student, has come a long way, and she definitely has worked hard, please give a warm welcome to Laura Zitel!" The crowd cheered, and Laura walked onto the stage.

"Hello. My name is Laura Zitel. I want to take the time to thank each one of you for caring so much for our school, and us as well. Thank you! Also, some of us seniors have younger siblings in this school, and we wanted to take the time to give them some advice for the rest of their high school life. To my little brother, Zack: You need to try your hardest. I know you're only a freshman, but enjoy high school, because when it ends, it ends. You'll miss it, even if you don't want to admit it. I may be going off to college shortly, but I'll still always be a phone call away, so call me Zack, anytime you wish. I love you!" There was more clapping, and some people were crying, I finally made my eyes find the people I was looking for. In a row, Bonnie, Enzo, Dad, Alyssa, Mom, Matt, Tyler, Kol, and Uncle Damon. I wasn't prepared to give my share of words, but I had no choice, it was my turn now. I slowly got up, and several people began to clap, and cheer out my name. When I finally got to the stage, I locked eyes with Alyssa, and she gave me two thumbs up. I smiled, and everything was okay.

"Hello. My name is Jamilla Salvatore. I had a rough freshman year, as I'm sure a lot of people did, it is hard adjusting to a new school, being the fresh meat, but we survived. Each one of us will be remembered for something different, something that makes us who we are.  My parents have been beyond supportive, they want me to follow my dreams, and I am going to. My amazing boyfriend is attending the same college as I, in the fall, and in a few short years, I'll probably forget this school. But like Laura said, we will miss it, because this was the place many of us had our first kisses, our first dances, and our first flings. This is the place that shaped us, and showed us right from wrong. My baby sister, Alyssa, graduates next year, and I have some advice for her, as well as anyone else in high school: Don't be afraid to be yourself. That is something I took so long to figure out, and once you find out who you are, you'll embrace it and be the best you, that you can ever be. Thank you all for coming out today to watch us say goodbye to our school." I took a deep breath. The crowd was clapping, crying and cheering, like they have been. I walked back to my seat, and Mr. Jamaica got back onto the stage.

"We will begin handing out diplomas, students, you may get in line." Principal Jamaica said, smiling at us all. He began to call out students, giving them a hug and their diploma. Cameras were flashing, and the crowd was clapping. "Jamilla Salvatore." I stepped onto the stage, and got my diploma. I saw my family smiling, and mom crying. Kol flashed a wink at me, and then I went to my seat. Shortly after, Jamaica called the final student. "That's it for the class of two-thousand  seventeen! Congratulations everyone!" We all got off our chairs and hugged each other. Then families came down, and we all met on the field taking pictures. Alyssa and I were first, then uncle Damon, Bonnie and Enzo fit in one with me, Tyler and Matt even took one, then my dad, then mom, then both mom and dad. We found some stranger to take a picture of all of us, and finally, it was Kol's turn. Kol kissed me on the cheek, and his arms were around my waist. My smile was big, and I was happy.

"My baby graduated!" Mom said, still crying. "I am so proud honey." I smiled at my mom, then gave her a hug.

"Congratulations Jamilla, we are proud as well!" Enzo and Bonnie said.

"Thanks so much!" I said, giving them both a hug.

"Well, I thought the entire ceremony was boring, except the part where you got your diploma. Congratulations Jamilla." Uncle Damon said, some what smiling. I hugged him, and he let me hug him.

"Well, who's gonna help me take care of Alyssa now?" Tyler asked in a joking way.

"I think you're capable of doing it yourself Tyler. You'll do just fine!" I said, laughing.

"Darling, you made me the proudest father any man could ever wish to be, I am so proud. I love you." Dad said, trying to hold back his tears.

"Aww, daddy, it's okay to cry. If mom can cry, so can you." I gave my dad a nice warm hug, and I didn't let go for a few moments. I released the hug, eventually, and turned towards Kol. He stood there in front of me, with the sweetest smile.

"Jamilla, I'm gonna save you the words and just do this." Kol grabbed my face, and brought me into a passionate kiss. It lasted two minutes, and everyone around us began to feel uncomfortable. We didn't care. He finally released the kiss, and whispered to me, "I love you so much." I smiled, and kissed his cheek.