Chapter Six

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

"Ah yes!" Jasper cheers, arm extended to the sky as he punches it. Jacqui groans and covers her face as her brother leans forward in the saddle and loudly encourages his horse to break out into a full on gallop. A week of travelling has gone by and the sight of a tavern to spend the night has woken him from his tired boredom. He whoops again loudly as his horse flies across the grass, hooves flicking up pebbles and mud in its wake. Ross laughs. Jacqui eyes brighten and she turns in her saddle to him.

"Race me. The winner gets the single room, the loser shares with Jasper." She barters.

Ross shakes his head and answers, "I gain nothing by this race as I already have the single room."

"You must be terrified that you will lose. I genuinely pity you." She chews on her lip, head tilted to the side in mock pity.

"The winner gets every drink paid by the loser." He suggests. Jacqui considers it.

"I am in." She grins and twists in her saddle to nod.

"So am I. Orion will you make sure it's fair?"

"Of course."

"Wait, I did not agree to racing with him." Ross argues, eyeing Hunter with annoyance.

Hunter smirks, "You must be terrified that you will lose. I..." Jacqui's laughter at her words coming from his mouth cuts him off. Ross glares at them both. "Come on Ross, would you not like to buy me a drink?"

"I am in. Get ready to empty your pockets." Ross eventually grinds out.

Orion grins and leans across to whisper in Hunter's ear, "His horse is trained to stop and spin if you whistle." Hunter's nods slowly and Ross gapes.

"What are you telling him?" He asks quickly.

Orion shrugs, "Just telling him he cannot let the family down." Ross narrows his eyes at them but neither of them gives anything away. "Get in line then." They sit side by side, horses' heads directly level. Orion winks at Jacqui who blows him a kiss. He rolls his eyes. "Three, two...one." Three horses leap forward and charge after Jasper's small figure by the tavern.

Zandar chuckles. "How are you meant to know who wins?"

"Jasper will soon realise what is going on when he sees them all barrelling towards him. We will see what he has to say..." Before he continues he lets out a bark of laughter as Ross' horse stops and spins on its hind legs, bounding back towards them. Ross yells and tries to turn him back round. Orion bends over laughing as his chest starts to burn. Zandar shakes his head.

"I do not think I have ever seen Jacqui play a race fairly." He comments with amusement.

"For once I do not believe that was Jacqui. Hunter and I may have had a little conversation."

Zandar chuckles and shakes his head in mild disapproval. "You may have had a little conversation? Somehow I doubt your use of the word 'may'."

"If he lost I would be paying his debt. I checked his saddle bags one night while he was sleeping. He has little to no money, a few coins. He was not paid for his assistance as we were. Ross can afford it."

"Why not just pay his debt if he happened to lose?"

"I would refuse in his situation as I have no doubt he would. This keeps his pride and mine intact." Orion glances sideways at Zandar who presses his lips together. "You disapprove?" He asks with humour. Zandar meets his eyes. He shakes his head slightly.