Chapter Twenty Six

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

She arrives before Lord Dahil who immediately bows to her and requests her hand for the next dance. He seems to be oblivious of the unspoken rule or simply does not care. She smiles and politely accepts. He leads her onto the floor as the present dance comes to an end. The music starts up again and he expertly guides her around the floor. Her gaze, unwillingly, darts over to the stoic Hunter. A young woman walks up to him and curtseys. A small smile lands on Hunter's lips and Arabella cannot control the small crease on the bridge of her nose as she is spun away and has to find him again with her eyes. The young woman speaks to him animatedly, eyes shining and her lips turned in a constantly too large smile.

What is even worse is the fact that Hunter seems to not mind.

Arabella fastens a dainty smile on her face as Lord Dahil looks down at her with concern. She has now stepped on his feet a total of three times and his toes are starting to pulse. However, she is blissfully unaware as her attention is elsewhere. She cannot believe how shameless the young woman is being to secure Hunter's attention. Arabella cannot wait until he dismisses her as abruptly as he did her. What she sees next forces her mouth into a thin line to avoid gaping. Hunter extends his hand to the girl and his mouth moves, no doubt enquiring as to whether she will be his next partner. The girl accepts and he escorts her onto the floor and they fit seamlessly in with the other couples.

Again she loses sight of him and tries not to show on her face how rankled she is by that fact. Lord Dahil squeezes her hand and mutters lowly to her, "Are you quite well Lady Arabella?"

"I fear I have exerted myself too much this evening. Forgive me Lord Dahil." She replies sweetly. He nods once before guiding her off the dance floor over to the refreshments table. He proceeds to fill a dainty glass with some punch and then offers it to her. With, what she hopes is, a grateful smile, she accepts it and takes a few sips. Her eyes once again are drawn to Hunter. He is most certainly a sight to behold, dressed in his dark fine clothes surrounded by beautiful girls in vibrant dresses. A smile constantly pulls at his lips as the girl continues to talk to him despite the complicatedness of the dance.

"My Lady, if you do not mind me saying, I have noticed your attention seems to be following a certain dancer." Pink rushes to her cheeks and she hurriedly takes another sip of her drink. "I could introduce you to the young lady if you wish, she is adept at interesting conversations I have gathered in my short conversations with her." Arabella blinks as she realises he had not noticed the true recipient of her attention. She had gotten away with this one.

"I would be honoured if you would make the introduction." She smiles politely at him and he grins, pleased with himself for suggesting such an excellent idea.

The dance comes to an end and Hunter bows to the young woman. She reaches out and touches his arm and he leans in to hear what she whispers. He brings his hand up to cover his mouth as his eyes crinkle and he stifles a laugh. Arabella does her best not to frown.

"I shall go and get her. Please wait here for us." Lord Dahil requests and Arabella inclines her head to him. He strides over to the young woman and speaks with her. Her gaze flits over to Arabella, a little confusion evident in her large brown eyes that a man could simply melt in to. She blinks, long dark lashes brushing her ivory skin. Hunter frowns and rolls his eyes before relinquishing her onto Lord Dahil's arm. The girl reaches out and touches his arm. She offers over her dance card. Hunter with a smirk fills his name in before striding away.

Lord Dahil escorts the young woman to before Arabella. She sinks into a low respectful curtsey before rising, a genuine warm smile on her lips. Arabella, however, is unable to return it. This does not make the girl falter. "May I introduce Lady Arisxandre Tikva. Lady Tikva may I introduce Lady Arabella, soon to be your majesty." He bows shortly and leaves them both alone. Arisxandre watches him go and turns back to Arabella with the same warm smile.