Chapter Nine

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

Hunter pulls at the collar of his top and rolls his shoulders. His horse dances beneath him, ears twitching back and forth, snorting everyone now and again to express its displeasure. Hunter tries to relax but finds it too difficult to manage completely as his discomfort rises. The others for the first time in weeks are quiet as they ride, all looking a little nervous. They are hiding it well but Hunter has been watching and he now knows their anxious traits lining their mouths or eyes. Orion glances back at him for the fifth time within the last ten minutes. Hunter meets his eyes and knows his eyes must match the black of his brother's.

The castle is looming up ahead of them; it will not be long now until they reach the gates embedded in the thirty foot wall surrounding its grounds and a quaint little village. Orion calls out as they grow ever nearer, "Open up ahead, North and his companions ride here."

Two men peer over the wall and shout an order for those below to lift the heavy Iron Gate. Slowly it winds up and the horses fidget as their riders shorten their reins and keep them waiting.

"Remember what I told you." Orion calls back to Hunter. He nods to show he has heard the words. His horse snorts loudly and Hunter relaxes his hands. His horse stretches out his neck. They all ride in through the gate and it closes behind them. A group of men ride towards them on strong peaceful horses that stride forward calmly. They nod their heads in greeting, eyes sliding across the whole group. Their eyebrows rise at Hunter as they are unable to see his face. He has brought the hood up over his head.

"Orion, you have returned. Took you long enough." A man comments with laughter in his voice. Orion does not look particularly impressed. "We need to see your new companions face."

Orion glances over at Hunter. "He has entered with me; I know his face so you do not need to."

Hunter studies them. All of the men, clearly warriors from the simple armour laid over their clothes, are dressed in what appears to be a uniform. It is not like back home where the men wear what they wish every day. They would have colours to wear if they ever needed to go to war but it was not needed any other time. These men have a flag tied around their right arms showing who their allegiance is to. Their faces are stoic in reply to Orion's easy retort. Hunter fights the instinct to turn around and request that the gate be opened again. Does he really wish to see this world of his brothers?

"As you wish." The man finally caves in. His men flank the group's sides and together they all ride on through the village.

The villagers watch them as they ride through their streets. Hunter cannot help but notice that some look on with fear in their eyes, while others only watch with curiosity. A few women come out from a house and wave at them as they ride by. Jasper grins at them and his sister quickly taps the back of his head. He rolls his eyes at her and sticks his tongue out. The women look a little less impressed and melt back into the house. One remains and Hunter feels her gaze on him, as if she is trying to see through the shadows encompassing his face. He shifts slightly. Being in the limelight with all these gazes makes him feel strange.

Children run across the street ahead of them, laughter bubbling from their lips, blissfully unaware of any spectators. Their eyes shine bright as they chase after each-other, jubilant when they catch up. Orion again glances back, checking that his younger brother is still following and has not snuck off. Hunter does not feel his gaze and so does not look his way. Orion sighs. In a way he is relieved that Hunter has hidden his features under his cloak. But he knows that will not be acceptable for much longer.

Another disturbingly high wall rises up above them, separating the village from the castle and its grounds. The man calls out and the gate is once again drawn up. Orion's group rides in alone, leaving the warriors outside the gate. "Will they not be joining us?" Hunter asks Jacqui.