Chapter Fourteen

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

"My Lady," Alice curtseys beautifully to Lady Arabella. After rising she stands with her hands demurely folded before her waiting. Beatrice hides a smile and turns away to fix her hair in the mirror. Mary notes how elegantly the young woman stands and the respect in her body language. Arabella however looks at the girl's face and sees innocence and youth. For a moment she is jealous of a girl a few years her junior. Then she pulls herself together and reminds herself that she is to marry the Crown Prince.

"Do you bring a message...?" Arabella enquires.

"I have been sent by the Queen to join your ladies in waiting. Three is a much more fit number for the fiancée of the future King, or so I was told." Alice replies confidently, a small smile touching her lips.

"Welcome..." Arabella hesitates, her brow crinkling slightly. "I do not believe you have introduced yourself."

"Miss Alice North," Alice curtseys again but only a slight one.

"Miss North; these are my other two ladies in waiting," she gestures to one, "Miss Mary Litt," she gestures to the other, "Miss Beatrice Frith."

"Wait a moment!" Beatrice suddenly interjects, turning around. "Did you just say your last name is North?"

"Yes?" Alice speaks with a little confusion as to why her last name is of some importance.

"Are those relations of yours just outside this room?" Beatrice asks, her voice slightly disappointed.

"I can only assume you mean Orion and Hunter, yes they are my elder brothers. Is that going to cause some issues?" Arabella raises her eyebrows at the girl stood before them who has already seemed to sum up the situation within the room and read Beatrice's expressions perfectly. "Were you speaking about them before I entered?" Alice goes one step further, proving just how much she had noticed. "I see that you were. Would you like some privacy to continue?"

Mary looks scandalised by the girl's loose tongue but Arabella cannot help smiling. "No there is no need for that. Your presence will perhaps help my ladies keep their minds on other things."

"Arabella." Beatrice whines, "You are spoiling my entertainment."

"You may continue if you wish. I understand that this position comes with the requirement to hold secrets, I will not breathe a word of it elsewhere." Alice reassures the women. Beatrice beams at her and Mary nods approvingly. Arabella however does not react.

"How old are you Alice?"

"Seventeen, My Lady." She replies quickly.

"There is no need for such a formal address here. Arabella will do just fine. We are all friends here and I hope that you will join us in that." Arabella corrects kindly. "Now we must hurry if I am to be ready in time for dinner."

As Mary straightens out and perfects Arabella's hair, Beatrice studies Alice. "If it would please you, Arabella, while you are at dinner tonight I would be delighted to take Alice to see the seamstress to sort out some appropriate dresses for her new position. I highly doubt the young girl has appropriate gowns for the ball next week."

"Certainly." Arabella agrees.

○ ○ ○

After a little while, Arabella and her three ladies emerge from the bedroom. Arabella halts and glances around the room before her attention flits to Hunter's with some hesitance. "Perhaps I was seeing double before but now there appears to only be one of you." She comments. Hunter meets her gaze and she feels her heart flutter in her chest but that soon dissipates when she sees how blank his eyes have taken on in appearance. His eyes then go past her, making contact with someone behind her. She glances back and sees Alice shaking her head, her mouth twisting in amusement and annoyance. This expression vanishes when she realises Arabella is looking back at her.