Chapter Nineteen

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

Hunter rolls out of bed and glances at the open window. A cool breeze swirls in and ruffles his already messy dark hair. He slowly stretches his arms above his head and eases his head side to side so his neck cracks in his ear. His eyes slip to the door where someone had knocked only moments before stirring him awake. The hour is still early but he pulls on his clothes and strides over.

He opens it already speaking, "I thought we agreed that I would meet you at the gates just last nig..." His voice gets stuck in his throat as he sees it is not his brother waiting outside his bedroom for him. Hunter chews the inside of his cheek as he stares at her. Then he rubs his eyes and sighs. She is still stood there. This is not a dream. "Has something happened to Orion?"

"No." Khiara answers, shaking her head.

"Alice?" Hunter asks while moving past her to Ross' kitchen.

"No."

"Xia?"

"No." She repeats tiredly.

"James?"

"They are all well." She finalises.

Hunter turns and leans against the table, his arms folded across his chest. He studies her and she shifts under his intense gaze. "Then what are you doing here?"

"I spoke with Orion last night and he brought up some points that I had not considered. I was going to give you time, let you process all of this on your own. However I think, now, that would be unwise. You have had many years to consider all of this and you must have known the possibility that I did not fight for you before. You do not need time. I was wrong thinking you did. What you need is..."

"Go on." Hunter interrupts, anger lacing his voice, eyes dark and mouth grim. "Tell me what you think I need! Do you really not understand how foolish you sound? I am not a child and you cannot and will not tell me what I need."

"I want to be in your life Hunter." She continues, pleading with him to see the truth in her words. "I want to be able to see you without thinking that you hate me."

"I..." Hunter's mouth snaps shut. She hangs her head and rubs her arm. "I hate the people that imprisoned my brother. I hate the man who tried to kill my brother's wife. I hate the woman who broke my brother's heart. I hate the people that made me feel like I was less of a person for being born out of wedlock. I do not hate you." She lifts her head, eyes wide and glistening. Hunter looks away. "I do not feel particularly fond of you but hate is not an emotion tied to you."

"I thought you hated me."

"I wish I could. But I see how much Alice loves you, even though she is annoyed. I see the happiness in Xia that comes from having a good home and a loving mother. Orion is not as bad as I originally thought and I think that is due to you. How can I hate you when I like them?" Hunter reasons.

"Please come and have breakfast with us. Your sisters would really enjoy your company." Khiara tempts him. Hunter forces his gaze back to her and takes in the features of the woman who gave birth to him. She is afraid of rejection right now and a sadistic part of him wants to say no. A part of him wants to continue to punish her and hurt her to make her feel something like what she did to him. But in that moment he knows he is trying to punish her. Walking away. Saying cold hateful words. Pushing away her attempts at knowing him. He wants to hurt her, to replicate some of his pain at being unwanted.

The problem is punishing her punishes him too.

"I... cannot." Despite knowing this he still refuses and her face falls. He fights down that feeling of victory. The awkward tense atmosphere grows between them until Ross thudding down the stairs breaks it. Ross pauses and looks between them, catching on to what was and still is a silent room.