Chapter Sixteen

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

"I do not know whether to thank you for bringing her back or..." Wisely her words grind to a halt. She knows that she must not voice the rest in case she provokes more anger in her second son. Hunter will not react kindly to her continuing to say the words that hang awkwardly in the air between them. Or tell you off for worrying us with her absence... She has lost all right to reprimand a grown man she abandoned at birth. Alice cringes and disappears inside. She does not want to be dragged into this mess. Khiara swallows roughly. "Alice spoke fondly of you to her father. Even Xia seems rather happy in your company. Thank you for being kind to them."

Orion cringes and watches Hunter's reaction slowly. It is clear those were the second worst set of words she could possibly have said. All of the blue leaks from his eyes leaving only a dark empty gaze behind. Orion positions himself so he stands between them but a little off to the side.

"Do not speak as if you know me." Hunter warns, "How dare you thank me for that! I am not a monster and I will not shun them for your actions despite what you may think. That is no favour to you."

"Hunter." Orion growls, forcing Hunter's gaze to move away from its death grip on Khiara. "Now is not the time." Hunter follows Orion's pointed gaze and sees the young boy James hovering in the doorway, biting his lip and shaking slightly, afraid of the raised voice coming from a man so similar to the brother he has known in his few years.

Hunter takes a step back and bows his head as he exhales slowly. Orion strides over to James once he is satisfied that his brother is in control of his emotions. He grins at his youngest sibling and lifts him up off the ground. He suggests making breakfast and takes him inside.

"I am sorry. I truly did not mean to offend you." Her voice breaks the silence and Hunter looks up, surprised that she had not followed Orion and James into the house. "I was only trying to imagine how it would feel to meet the children that same woman chose to keep when she let you go. If you had been brusque with them it would have been understandable and would not make you a monster. Did that not even cross your mind?"

"Orion told me that your husband changed you. You kept them because of him. That is not difficult for me to accept." Hunter frowns and sighs deeply. "I struggled with Orion; you went back for him. You never came back for me."

Tears brim in her eyes but she holds them back. She does not want her son's pity. She wants his forgiveness. "I am sorry."

"I know." Hunter shrugs his shoulders. "The problem is I do not think I care anymore." He glances up at the house. "You should return to your son. Tell Orion I will wait for him here."

"Answer me just one question please; is there anything I can do to make this better?" She asks softly. Hunter's brow furrows and he winces.

"I do not know." He answers even softer.

She nods and leaves. Hunter lets out a long exhale before taking up his earlier spot and waiting for his brother to be ready to go back to their assignment.

○ ○ ○

It does not take long for Orion and Alice to appear and the three of them head towards the castle. Orion slowly, deliberately withdraws something from within his jacket and carefully unfolds it. Hunter catches the words written on the crisp paper and smirks to himself. Alice however resolutely looks ahead pretending to be oblivious. Orion taps it three times before producing an hmm noise.

"It is such a beautiful morning, do you not agree Hunter?" She speaks, staring around her at everything bathed in fresh morning light. Hunter chuckles and Orion grins.