Chapter Eight

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

Several weeks later

"We need to talk." Orion glances up and narrows his eyes to pick out the form of Hunter. They are within yet another tavern but the atmosphere is much darker and foggier than the others. Orion leans back in the booth and taps his fingers against his mug of beer. The others had decided not to drink since they were so close to home and wanted their faculties when meeting with their employer. Orion had decided, however, that he would. He had thought he would be left in peace but now he sees that was not going to be possible.

"We have been speaking for weeks Hunter. What more could there be to discuss? I am sure we know each other inside out by now." Orion drawls, hoping this might make the younger man leave. Hunter instead just crosses his arms across his chest, his dark gaze growing darker. Orion sits up straighter, his hand falling to his hip. Hunter notices the hand fall from the table to below it and his eyebrow tweaks up.

"Do not ever claim to know me inside out brother." Hunter drawls back, mirroring his deep voice. "In all of our conversations you have left some very important information out. I think it is time to stop with the secrets."

"Can we not discuss in the morning?"

"An hour from now?" Hunter pointedly says. "I am not as blind as you suppose me to be. I have watched whose lands we have walked through and I know where we appear to be heading. You told me once that your employer was no lord yet he must be wealthy for you to work for him. There are not many titles in our country. So he is either a peasant who found a wealthy occupation or he is..."

"Go on Hunter. Show me how well your deducing skills are. Where are we heading and who shall I meet there?" Orion gestures for Hunter to take a seat. "And do sit down; you are drawing too much attention to this corner." Hunter glances over his shoulder and sighs. The tavern is dimly lit and foggy, he can barely see any other occupants but he does sense curious eyes. He slides into the booth and almost immediately a woman is stood before the booth. Hunter waves her away and she goes with an annoyed tilt to her mouth.

"Or he is a member of the royal family." Hunter finishes his voice low. Orion smirks and takes a gulp of his beer. "We are heading towards their palace."

"Then what is there for me to tell you since you have already worked so much out." Orion taunts. "You should get some beauty sleep, everyone knows you need it."

"Is that jealousy speaking, Orion? Everyone knows I am the better looking version of you." Hunter chuckles as he replies. Then his face returns to being serious. "There are very few reasons why a Royal would care about one life lost in their lands. Why does he, I assume he is a man," Orion nods, "...care about who took Jasiel's life and the events that followed."

"I forget that you grew up far away from court. The Lords who own all these lands think they can live their lives without any responsibility to the Royals. They forget who gave their families the lands in the first place. The Ricells pay their taxes and keep their people in check. The Royal family knew that Jasiel would inherit and they were pleased. When he died, my employer wondered why and wanted to know who else would inherit and whether they were worthy."

"If they were not, would he take their lands from them?"

"Of course he would. There are plenty of loyal Lords to the Royals that do not own their own lands or own very little. To promote one would give them loyalty for life. However, my employer knows how loyal the Ricells have been over the years. He did not wish to remove them from their station without good reason. He may have lost many strong and well trained men through such an action."