Chapter Thirty Six

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

Theodore winces as the needle pierces his skin, dragging the fine thread through his flesh. The thread goes from an off white to a pale red. The physician continues to neatly pierce the skin and gentle pull it to the skin on the other side of wound. Theodore grips the table that he has sat on. The worst pain has already passed but it still stings with a vengeance. The liquid he had poured into it had made him want to yell out with fresh agony. It had almost made him empty his stomach contents. He had held it together and now he simply needs to wait for the stitching to be finished.

Orion frowns and leans against the wall beside the door. Theodore looks over in his direction. "Are you going to stand there breathing heavy the whole time?" The physician looks up in surprise and a flitter of fear. When he sees where the prince's agitation is aimed, he relaxes.

"Your highness..." Orion starts. Theodore groans and raises his hand to cut him off.

"Have you finished?" He asks the physician who warily nods as he ties the knot on the thread. "Leave us." He orders. The physician gathers his bits and pieces and scampers from the room. Theodore slowly rotates his shoulder, wincing with the pain. However it is manageable. He stands and reaches for his shirt.

"Theo." Orion speaks. The prince glances at him, this time without irritation. "What happened?"

"Somehow someone knew exactly where I was going this morning; they even knew my route and the time I would get there. We were ambushed and it is only because of my men's quick thinking that we escaped with our lives. There were many of them and very few of us." Theodore answers, his jaw ticking with annoyance and anger. "Two of our men are still laid on the ground back there. Please arrange for their bodies to be fetched."

"You do not think it was a coincidence?"

"Not a chance. We have a traitor here. It should be easy enough to find out whom. Not many knew where I was going this morning. My men, that are still alive, need to be questioned...as does my betrothed." He pulls his shirt over his head, ignoring the blood stain. "I spoke with her about my schedule after the ball to see when we could spend time together." Theodore shakes his head and sighs loudly. "Her correspondence?"

"I have read through it all. There is nothing in it that would raise concern and I see no special code hidden within it." Orion tells him honestly.

"Then we can only hope that my fears are unfounded. When she is found innocent, the wedding must be brought forward. I need an heir to my throne in case anything should happen to me." Theodore speaks his thoughts out loud and Orion nods slowly. "Why the hesitation?"

Do you have another woman suitable in the unlikely situation that she is guilty?" Orion asks. Theodore rubs his eyes and grimaces as the movement pushes a little blood through the stitches. It is missing a covering but the physician had been too frightened to remain beside the irate prince.

"If she is found guilty the last thing I shall be considering is a wife. I shall be making an example of what happens to people who betray me." Theodore coldly states. Orion nods. "Where is she? It should not take Lady Arisxandre this long to relay a message and get her down here."

"I shall see what the delay is." Orion says before he leaves.

It is only a few minutes later when Hunter and Arabella enter the room. She rushes to his side, her expression concerned. He forces his face to not look at her with suspicion. Instead he nods at Hunter, "Mr North, you may wait outside." Hunter exits, leaving the door open.

"You should not be standing." Arabella tells her fiancé and directs him to take a seat. "You will have lost a lot of blood...what happened?"

"We were ambushed. Three of my men are dead and the rest of us barely escaped with our lives. Their intention was to kill me, I am almost sure of it." Arabella's heart stutters on the 'almost'. Does he suspect another intention? "I will survive; it is a mere knife wound." Theodore assures her as he sees the look of worry enter her eyes. She smiles lightly.