Chapter Thirty Seven

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

"Ahhh!" Ari screams in frustration as she digs the knife blade deep into the flesh and twists it. A slow clapping makes her jump and she spins round, eyes wide. Her mouth opens, prepared to explain away her actions. She heaves a sigh of relief when she recognises the woman before her. "You scared me." Ari declares before retrieving her knife from the flesh of the stuffed training bag.

"I am not the one yielding a knife with such fury." She coolly retorts. She stands short, shorter by Ari's petite height by a head. However she does not give the image of someone to be messed with. Her hair is cut short and scraped back into a tight bun, secured by a scrap of leather. She wears men's breeches and a tight fitting dark brown shirt. Two knives hang at her waist but from experience Ari knows there are many more hidden. She crosses her arms. "Care to explain?"

"You should be thankful that I am stabbing a lifeless bag rather than a person." Ari replies as if she is having a normal conversation. The woman smiles. "Mercy." The irony of the name never escapes Ari. "I do not like how I am feeling right now."

"Then feel free to keep stabbing." Mercy suggests. Ari laughs. "It is the first time I have seen such an accurate and forceful strike from you. Perhaps the anger is helping you."

"It is not anger. It is hurt." Ari sadly announces as she gazes down at her hand tightly gripping the knife. Mercy's lips press together as she considers the words. "I have told my mother that it is time that we return home. I do not think I can remain here any longer."

"Will you continue your training when you return home?" Mercy asks.

"I was training before I came here." Ari says but is unable to remain serious. She knows how Mercy is going to respond before she has even finished.

"If you call what you did training." Mercy replies as expected. "I certainly would not."

"Do not worry, my mother has refused. She has made it quite clear that we will remain in the hospitality of the Royals until they grow bored of us or until I am married. I cannot escape home quite yet." Ari strikes the knife again and buries the blade all the way up to the hilt. She exhales slowly and Mercy smiles.

"Good. I believe in a few weeks you may even be able to defend yourself against an attack." Mercy takes a knife off of her belt. "Which would you prefer; knives or hand to hand combat?" Ari glances at the knife in the bag.

"Hand to hand. I do not think I should have a blade in my hand feeling the way that I do." Ari admits. Mercy nods and hooks the knife back at her waist.

No more words are said as Mercy talks Ari through different manoeuvres, enacting them slowly so that Ari can copy. When she has caught on she speeds up. Ari matches her for speed and accuracy the best that she can. It had been a relief for her when she first met Mercy. She had wanted to learn how to protect herself for months, ever since she had first met Sparrow. Mercy is helping her to get there.

She is the only female warrior hired by the Royal family. She is tough and strong but Ari soon found that she has humour and wit that make her a great friend and an amazing teacher. Ari had had to prove herself because Mercy was not willing at first to train a lady. Ari's determination changed her mind and now she looks on with approval as Ari fluidly enacts a defense move.

Mercy steps around her, pretending to observe. Then she attacks, arms encircling Ari around her arms, locking down. Ari momentarily freezes in shock before she throws her head back. Mercy leans to the side, narrowly missing having her skull connect with Ari's. Sensing the shifting balance Ari stamps down on Mercy's right foot pushing the balance even further to the left as Mercy groans. Ari then pulls to the left. Mercy stumbles slightly but rights the balance quickly. Ari tries to elbow her but she has her locked down.