Chapter Thirty Nine

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

For the attention of Lord Wolfe Usani,

My name is Orion North. I am the older brother of one Hunter Usani on his mother's side. I hate that I am the one who must write this letter to you. It is not something I ever imagined I would be responsible for. When I first saw Hunter I decided that he would be nothing to me, that I would complete my goal in Ricell and return home to pretend that he did not exist. However he impressed me. I saw a loyalty and strength in him that forced him to put himself in dangerous positions to protect Lord Logan. He got his hands dirty and he threatened to get what he needed. But not once did I see him cross the line. He protected the innocent and he calmed the fearful.

You have brought up my brother better than most could have hoped. He spoke fondly of you all and I know he intended to return to you soon. I just wish he had thought to return sooner. He was sent on an important mission by the Royals. It was an honour that he tried to fulfil. The men were ambushed and only a few returned with their lives. They told me that he fought bravely and that he protected his fellow men. But there were too many of them and he succumbed to the blade. They reassured me that his death was quick and as painless as it could be. He did not crumble or surrender but stayed loyal and true to the end.

I know that this information brings little comfort. If I had not been restrained the men who survived would no longer be survivors. He has been taken from all of us far too soon. I will find out who is responsible and I will make them pay. I give you my word.

I send this letter in the hands of your brother, Lord Bear Usani. He assured me that he could relay this message verbally but I have no wish to cause him the pain and anguish of repeating this to you and to the rest of your family. I apologise for causing you sorrow and anger, there is no right way to write this letter.

Just know there are others missing him too. He has affected a great many people in his short time here and he will never be forgotten.

With deepest condolences,

Orion North

Wolfe Usani,

Your brother has been kind enough to deliver my message to you also. I am deeply sorry for the pain these letters will cause you and continue to cause you. My name is Khiara Glen; I am the woman who gave him up as a baby. I must thank you for allowing him to make this journey alongside his brother. It had given them a wonderful bond and brought so much more happiness into our lives. I am not going to lie and tell you it has been plain sailing. Hunter and I had our issues to resolve. But I am ever so grateful for the opportunity to resolve them.

You have raised a fine young man. My daughters and my younger son adored him. My husband thinks he was remarkable. And Orion will always carry him with him. He has made him a better man than he was before. I will always be eternally grateful to Hunter for that. Patience and understanding were not qualities my son was equipped with but now I see them in him every day. I regret that I caused him to carry around pain and anger as a child but I do believe some of that was eased through our time together. I will miss him.

We parted as friends but I wish this was not the way we had to part. I wish we could have sent him home to you and not experienced any of this sorrow or grief. I weep for you when you must read this heart-breaking news.

My heart and mind is with you and your family.

With all my love,

Khiara Glen.

Wolfe reads out the letters in the most emotionless tone that he can muster. He has to be strong for his family, now is not the time to break down. He is their head; he has to be the support they all need. Everyone who loves Hunter stands motionless in the room, still absorbing the information, unable to believe their ears. Surely they must all have misheard. Wolfe watches them all carefully, waiting for the first signs of cracking that is sure to come. A tear slips down Sparrow's cheek, lips trembling, her carefully construed mask crumbling. Wolfe squeezes her hand and the cracks break wide open and she weeps into his chest. He holds her close, jaw clenched to hold back his own feelings.