Chapter Thirty Four

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

The next morning is peaceful within the Glen household. Hunter and Orion leave just as Khiara and John are suggesting places for Bear to go so that he is not bored. Hunter hears Bear assure them that he has plans and tasks to fulfil while he is here but he appreciates their help. Then he can no longer eavesdrop as they are out of the front door and marching down the street to the gates. This time there is no bother as the men open the gates for both Orion and Hunter.

They relieve the guards standing solidly outside Lady Arabella's rooms. Orion knocks on the door and Alice opens it. She raises an eyebrow imperiously at her eldest brother, "You are late!"

"No, you are just insanely early." Orion retorts. "May we enter?"

"You may." Alice opens the door wider.

It is no surprise that Hunter and Arabella's eyes connect within seconds. She is about to force her gaze away when he does it first, his gaze slipping straight past her as if she is not even there. Because of this she is unable to do as she intended. Her eyes watch him as he enters the room beside his brother. She notes that he looks tired. She wonders why. Had he been having trouble sleeping just as she has?

Orion nods his head at the three women in respect before taking his position by the window. Hunter stands by the door, still as a statue and exuding as much warmth as one. Alice clears her throat and Arabella glances her way. She sees Alice looking serious and unimpressed. Alice forces a smile at her Lady's attention. "You do not have anything in your schedule until noon, my lady. Might I suggest we take a trip to the library?"

"That sounds like a lovely idea, Miss North." Lady Arabella rises from her chair and heads to the door. Orion falls into step when her three ladies follow her. Hunter opens the door and electricity crackles as Arabella walks past him, her skirt brushing against his legs. Her eyes search his out but he frowns and looks down. His brother's words echo in his mind, making him question how he feels about her. The sight of her still makes his heart thud but... would it if she did not look the way she does?

They glide, the women, and stride, the men, down the hallways until they reach the doors to the library. Orion opens the door and steps in first. Lady Arabella hangs back allowing her ladies to enter first. She glances at Hunter, "I see you have come to realise your foolishness." She speaks quietly so it only reaches his ears.

Hunter finally makes eye contact and the darkness threatens to swallow her whole. "Perhaps." He answers and she falters having expected to convince him that nothing further was allowed. Part of her needs to do so to fully convince herself. His reaction has baffled her. Only a day apart and he seems to have changed. "Who was the man in the maze?" He asks piercing her bubble. Her heart flutters nervously in her chest and she brushes past him into the room. "Arabella!" He hisses as she does so.

"No one." She replies before placing a smile on her face as Alice and Beatrice glance over from their places by the bookshelves. Mary frowns down at the book she has already chosen. Orion's eyes are firmly fastened on her as she enters, his expression openly distrusting.

"Hunter!" Arabella turns and pushes away the frown threatening to cover her features at the new female voice. Hunter turns and his face breaks out in a smile. She can still not see the woman responsible for softening his face and bringing light to his eyes. Envy spikes a nasty slice through her heart. She forces herself to join Beatrice by the bookshelf and searches for a book. From the corner of her eye she sees Hunter finally enter the room with a girl in tow. Arabella recognises her as the girl that he gave so much attention the night of the ball. It takes all of her to refrain from shooting fire from her eyes at Arisxandre.