Chapter Twenty Eight

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

Just as for everyone else there is no announcement or proclamation when the Crown Prince Theodore enters the room. However that does not mean that no one notices his entrance. It is the very opposite in fact. Every head turns when he strides in, exuding power and authority. He walks with his head held high, his posture perfectly straight and royal in every sense of the word. His blond hair gleams in the lights and his eyes take in everything around him. He inclines his head to the musicians who had halted their music for a few moments. With only a second of hesitation they start to play again.

The men shadowing his side are still dressed as guards and they watch for any signs of rebellion within the midst of the many people from all walks of life within the hall. A smile lifts Theodore's previously serious face as he sees his betrothed. He crosses the room easily as any in his path hurriedly move out of the way and watch with fascination as he passes, trying to work out their future king. They see him bow low to the beautiful Lady Arabella who they now pay a little more attention to now that her identity has been confirmed.

"Lady Arabella, please forgive me for my absence." He asks, his voice carrying above the music quietly playing. She slowly dips into an elegant curtsey and inclines her head in agreement. He smiles and extends his hand to her. "May I try to make it up to you?"

"You may." She smiles at him warmly as he guides her to the centre of the dance floor that everyone has vacated. She feels a prickle at the back of her neck and knows someone is intently watching her. Two can play at this game. She ignores it. If he can pay attention to someone else then she can certainly focus only on the prince. Theodore lays his hand on her waist and Arabella wishes his touch could produce some warmth but she feels nothing. She wonders if Hunter had felt anything when he had that girl hanging off his arm.

He is an exquisite dancer; there is no doubt in her mind of that. He must have had many dance lessons as a child. She senses other young maidens watching him with regret that he is already attached to her. He is not imposing as his father is but instead emanates a gentle strength and extreme care as he directs her through the complicated dance. Many a woman would wish to be in his arms at this moment, their hand in his larger strong one.

She notices that he shoots a look over her shoulder to someone, or perhaps multiple ones. Then other couples begin to join them and the music increases in volume. He is even a humble man, not wishing to be in the limelight any longer than necessary. He smiles down at her, "You look stunning tonight."

"Thank you, your highness." She answers sweetly.

"I have been told by my mother that I am neglecting you and that we should get to know each better before we marry." Theodore admits. Arabella blinks and opens her mouth to soothe such a worry about neglecting her. "Do not try to ease my guilt; I am well aware that I have been busy of late. There is much to be done before our wedding and no other is able to sort it out than I."

"Of course, I understand completely. Yours is a life of responsibility and I would not wish to ever make that difficult for you." Arabella assures him. Her hand on his shoulders goes up to touch his cheek in a comforting manner. His smile instantly warms.

"It will be a lifetime of responsibility, a lifetime of waiting wondering when I am going to turn up. I will miss important events, I will end breaking promises that I make you. Right now, I am giving you the option to say no, you can walk away and there will be no repercussions." He promises her and she is lost for words as she stares into his eyes that will not lie to her.

Orion taps him on the shoulder before she can voice an answer she is not even sure of anymore. Theodore turns with a little irritation, his hand dropping from her waist but the other still holding firmly to her hand. "Your highness, your father wishes to speak with you for a moment." Orion tells him. Theodore grinds his teeth and shakes his head. A few curious eyes fall on the three of them. He mutters something back to Orion that she is not able to catch. Orion shrugs his shoulders. Arabella looks away from the two of them and as always her eyes are drawn to Hunter. This time however his eyes are not on her and he stands with his hand on Arisxandre's waist. A ball of rotten weighs heavily in Arabella stomach.