Chapter Thirteen

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

"Your Majesty." Orion bows low, elbowing Hunter in the ribs to do the same. The Queen's lips twitch up as she sees the action but she does not comment on it. "I am honoured to once again be home." She nods and gestures for him to take his place within the room. He strides over to the window and points out where Hunter should stand. Lady Arabella's forehead creases slightly as she figures that her betrothed has given her one experienced, professional protector and one that clearly has never done such a job here before. She is not sure how to feel about that.

"Arabella, take a seat. I have been waiting for a time when my son would allow you to spend time within my presence again. I refuse to let this opportunity go to waste." The Queen gestures to a seat.

"Your Majesty, I am sure..." Lady Arabella trails off at the Queen's face transforming to one of seriousness.

"Do not try to explain my son. Also you must call me Elizabeth; we are soon to be family." The two women take their seats. "I have been told that the wedding arrangements are coming along nicely. How did you find your dress?"

"It is beautiful but I have requested a few adjustments, I do hope that you do not mind. The style was a little extravagant for my tastes." Lady Arabella carefully replies, doing her best not to cause offence. Queen Elizabeth's face is hard to decipher for several moments before she smiles gently.

"The seamstresses alerted me immediately after your session. I agree with all of your thoughts and I look forward to seeing the end result. You shall be a beautiful bride." Both women relax a little and talk of the royal wedding continues in great detail.

Hunter gazes out of the window, tuning out what he views as useless babble. He is starting to regret agreeing to accompany his brother. This seems like a boring task that will last an awfully long time.

"Orion, your brother seems to have drifted off into his own little world." Queen Elizabeth states softly, watching the young man whose attention is firmly fixed on the world outside and has been for quite a while. Many subjects and conversation turns have passed since he has stopped listening. He does not even take note of her perceptive statement. Orion looks across at him with a frown.

"I apologise on his behalf, your majesty. It does not excuse his behaviour but he has a lot to think through and sort out in his head recently." Orion replies. She inclines her head accepting the apology.

"The hour is getting close to dinner. Please escort Lady Arabella back to her rooms so she can prepare for her meal." Orion bows his head slightly and moves over to nudge Hunter. He does not get close enough to do so as Hunter turns and frowns at his approaching brother. His eyes flick up and down as if he is figuring something out. Orion halts until Hunter raises his eyebrows and reminds him that he was given an order. They stride over to the door and open it. Lady Arabella rises and curtseys to the Queen before gliding through the door. Both brothers follow after her.

"You were listening the whole time, were you not?" She asks, glancing over her shoulder for a brief second, clearly speaking to Hunter. His lips twitch up slightly but he refuses eye contact.

"Listening, no. Aware that people were speaking and able to tune in and out when necessary, yes." Hunter softly says. Orion chuckles under his breath before returning to his stoic persona.

They escort her to her rooms and she disappears into her bedroom. Orion looks across at his brother. "You are making me look bad and I cannot even excuse you now that you have revealed that."

"Were you truly listening to the details of the dress, the cake, the banquet and the tiny unnecessary details that truly the servants sort out amongst themselves? I did not take you for such a man." Hunter replies, his eyes dark and amused. Orion smirks and shakes his head.