Chapter 5 - The Match

The following day, as Korra, Bolin, and Mako walked through Republic City, they couldn't help but notice something. The city was still bustling with life, but it was different. Police were standing all around, and they were acting quiet and on edge. "Hey guys, something's up." Korra whispered to Mako and Bolin. "Come on." The three teens headed to the police station to find Lin Beifong.
"What's going on?" Mako asked as he, Bolin, and Korra walked into Beifong's office. "Everyone is acting strange." Beifong was staring out the window, looking at the city. "We think a terrorist attack is impending on the city." "Terrorists?" Bolin questioned. "What kind of terrorists?" "It's a group that's calling themselves the Outsiders." Beifong explained. "They sent us a note two days ago. A small black card that read, "Soon. We are coming. Our purpose will be known. Signed The Outsiders. There was a silver symbol on the front of the card. An upside down triangle inside a circle." "What purpose?" Korra asked. "We're not sure." Lin replied. "We've never seen anything from this group before." "How are you preparing?" Mako questioned. "Police lining all the streets looking out for suspicious characters. All big businesses, including Future Industries, are being guarded by air fleets. Everyone with access to City Hall has been giving a photo ID Card that must be shown in order to gain entry." Lin told him. "All we can do now is wait."

Korra explained what was happening during lunch. "I'm going to have to spend almost all of my time in City Hall." Tenzin said in response. "I have to be there to defend the city." "We'll be there too." Korra said, gesturing to herself, Bolin, and Mako. "We've defended the city before, we can do it again." "We can help too!" Ikki exclaimed. "I think it's better that you and Meelo stay here to protect the Air Temple." Tenzin told the kids. "You have to make sure everyone is ready to leave if necessary." Ikki huffed, but Meelo grinned. "I'm gonna go make an escape plan!" He said with a grin. He then jumped up and headed to his room.
     Mako, Bolin, and Korra headed into Republic City to train some more, there were only two days until the match. They weren't going to be training the day before the match though, because Mako had always said it was bad luck. However, when they got into the gym, they were faced with a problem. Lin Beifong was standing there, talking with Tenzin and the guy who owned the arena. "What's going on here?" Korra asked. She had quite a bit of authority in her voice. "We're cancelling the match." Lin said to her simply and without care. "You can't cancel it!" The owner of the arena exclaimed. "It's a sold out match! How am I supposed to be able to refund all those tickets?" "Not my problem." Lin told him. "We think the Outsiders are planning the attack for the night of the match." "So triple the guards!" Bolin argued. "Do a thorough search of everyone coming into the building! Get surveillance inside the arena! Just please please don't cancel the match!" "We tried that before when Amon attacked." Lin said. "Look what happened." "You don't understand!" Mako told her. "None of you do! This isn't just a game! Not only is it one of the most important matches ever, but Probending means so much to me. And Bolin and Korra and everyone who bought a ticket. The Fire Ferrets haven't played in years! You have to let us play." All the adults in the room were momentarily shocked, but then Tenzin said, "Maybe we shouldn't cancel the match." "What?" Lin said in shock. "If we do everything Bolin said, and we're there too, everything should go fine." Tenzin told her. "Yes!" The gym owner said, celebrating. "Thank you thank you thank you!" Korra exclaimed, hugging Tenzin. "I want you three home before dinner." Tenzin told the teens. "Of course!" Bolin said happily. With that, the adults in the room left the three teens to train.
    "Can we come with you to the match Daddy?" Ikki asked at dinner. "I don't know." Tenzin replied, thinking. "Come on Dad!" Jinora said. "It'll be fun." "I've always wanted to see a Probending match!" Anya argued. "Alright." Tenzin said finally. "You can come." "Yes!" Meelo exclaimed. Ikki pouted and looked at Anya. "She's trying to take him from us." She thought. "I'm not gonna let that happen."

    The day of the match was a pretty typical day. After breakfast, Jinora and Anya headed down to feed the bison. Anya had her singing gopher on her shoulder, and Kuzan immediately walked over to her despite this. "Hey buddy." Anya said, petting him. The singing groundhog (who Anya had yet to name) became extremely jealous at this act. The creature gave a low growl, and Kuzan started to growl back. "Hey, no fighting." Anya told them. She handed a slice of cantaloupe to the groundhog. The creature almost seemed to stick its tongue out at Kuzan, to which Kuzan whined. "I have some for you too." Anya said, chuckling. She gave the bison a medium sized watermelon and headed off to feed the rest with Jinora. "You're really good with animals." Jinora commented. "Like extremely good." "Animals just always seemed to like me." Anya replied. "I don't know what it is." After feeding all the bison, Jinora and Anya headed back up to the house. Tenzin was spending the day in Republic City to help Beifong set up the security for the match.