Chapter 19 - A Familiar Face

The following morning, Korra was called to a security meeting, so Anya and Jinora were left alone. Anya explained what she heard to Jinora, and Jinora brought up another problem.

"Well," she started, "if they have a prison, where do the prisoners come from?"

"Maybe it's the rebels." Anya replied.

The door to the room opened. "Come on girls," Arthur said, standing in the doorway. "It's time for breakfast."

"Where's our guard?" Jinora asked.

"I'll be your guard today." Arthur replied. "Come along."

He led the girls outside, where they sat eating oatmeal and berries. After a little while though, Anya pushed her bowl away.

"Everything alright?" Gibbons asked.

"I'm not that hungry." Anya replied.

By that night, Anya had come up with a plan.

"The groups most advanced medics would be at their main base, right?" She started. "That must be where they're keeping anyone who isn't perfect."

"So how do we get there?" Jinora questioned.

"I've been feeling sick for a couple days now." Anya replied. "If I do something to make it worse, Arthur will have to take us there."

"But you could get hurt." Jinora argued.

"I'll be fine." Anya explained. "When I was young, I ate some bad berries. It made me pass out for a while, but I was eventually fine. It'll be the same here. You'll really have to freak out about it."

"Don't worry." Jinora said with a smile. "I'm good at acting."

That night, at about 2am, Jinora and Anya put the plan into action. Anya ate a big bowl full of the berries, which made her stomach hurt pretty bad.

Running down the hall, Jinora made her way to Arthur's room. "Arthur!" She exclaimed, shaking him. "Arthur!"

"What?" He said, opening his eyes.

"You have to come quick." Jinora said with fear. "It's Anya."

Arthur and Jinora ran to the bedroom to find Anya curled up into a tight ball, arms wrapped around her stomach.

"Anya," Arthur started. "Straighten out. You need to tell me what's wrong."

Anya didn't say anything, she just started to cry. "Hurts." She managed.

"We have to get help." Jinora said, the concern real. Sure she knew Anya would be okay, but the pain she was feeling was real.

Arthur nodded and made a move towards the closet. As he was grabbing jackets for both girls, he heard a gasp, and then Jinora.

"Anya?" She said, her voice filled with panic. "Anya!"

Arthur was terrified to run back to the bed and see Anya, passed out.

"Come on." He said. "We need to leave, quickly."

The train rode twice as fast as usual in order to get Anya medical help. Even so, it was still a six hour ride. Jinora fell asleep, as it was nearly three am. When she woke, she was in an unfamiliar bed.

Jinora opened the door to the room she was in and found that there were lots of people milling around. Most were nurses and doctors, but a lot were civilians too. Jinora realized she must be in a hospital, so she went to find Anya.

Anya's room was right next door, and she was awake when Jinora went in.

"Jinora!" She exclaimed.