Chapter 10 - Aftermath

Two weeks had passed since Jinora and Anya returned to Air Temple Island. They had heard nothing from the Outsiders since they had lost contact when Jinora and Anya were kidnapped. Things seemed normal, for the most part.
Jinora and Anya were feeding the bison. Anya also fed her singing gopher, who she finally decided on a name for. "Haru," she said warningly. "Stop trying to steal Kuzan's food. You had your own." "Come on." Jinora said. "We should probably be getting back up to the house."
That night, Anya was laying in bed, staring up at the ceiling. There were now guards swarming the island, so Anya couldn't sit out on the roof anymore or she'd get caught. "Anya," Jinora said quietly, "are you awake?" "Yeah." Anya replied. "Do you think things are going to be different now?" Jinora asked. "What do you mean?" Anya questioned. "Well," Jinora explained. "Do you think Dad is going to be more protective of us? And Ikki, Meelo, and Rohan. Do you think he'll change?" Anya didn't reply.

Over the course of the next week, they found out the answer to this question. Even though Bolin said his shoulder was better, Tenzin refused to let him bend. The airbender was also being stricter with "roughhousing", saying he didn't want anyone to get hurt.
One morning, at breakfast, Jinora noticed that Anya wasn't eating anything. "Are you okay?" She asked quietly. Unfortunately, it wasn't quiet enough for Tenzin not to hear. "Anya?" Tenzin started, "Why aren't you eating anything?" Anya shrugged, not meeting Tenzin's eyes. Tenzin huffed. "Look at me when I'm talking to you." He said somewhat sternly. Anya looked up, and Tenzin could see that something was obviously not right. Anya's eyes were glassy and dull. She was pale, except for the red flush on her cheeks. Overall, she looked worn out. "Thank you." Tenzin said. "Now what's wrong?" Anya grimaced, as if in pain, and brought a hand to her forehead, rubbing it. "I don't feel good." She said finally. Tenzin stood up and went over to her. He placed a hand on her forehead. "You have a fever." He stated. "Come on, back to bed." Anya stood up and walked with Tenzin back to her room. Tenzin placed an arm around her shoulders and she unconsciously leaned into him. Ikki pouted. "Stop that." Jinora told her. Ikki stopped, but she was still upset. She sighed. "Can I be excused?" She asked. Pema nodded, and Ikki left.
"Hey," Jinora said, walking into the room. "How are you feeling?" "I'm okay." Anya replied, sounding almost out of breath. "My head hurts." "You should sleep." Jinora told her. "I'm just going to read, I won't be bothering you."
Tenzin spent practically the whole day in Jinora and Anya's room, tending to her. By the next morning, Ikki had a plan. After breakfast, she stopped Tenzin in the hallway on his way to check on Anya. "Daddy," she whined. "What is it Ikki?" Tenzin asked. "I have to go check on your sister." "Um," Ikki started, "my head hurts." Tenzin put his hand on Ikki's forehead. "You don't have a fever." He stated, heading into Jinora and Anya's room. "Just go sleep for a while." Ikki pouted again.
That night during dinner, Ikki complained to Tenzin that her stomach hurt, and he sent her to bed saying he would check on her after everyone was finished eating.
"She doesn't look sick." Anya said. She had been feeling slightly better, at least well enough to eat some of her dinner. "Yeah," Jinora replied. "I don't think she is." "Well then why is she faking it?" Anya questioned. Jinora sighed. "She thinks you're trying to take Dad away from us." "That's crazy." Anya replied. "I think I know how to stop it." Jinora said.

    The next day, Tenzin refused to let Anya out of the house. "But I don't have a fever anymore!" Anya protested. "I'm fine now!" "Your body still needs time to recover." Tenzin told her. Anya huffed. "Can I at least go see Kuzan and Haru?" She asked. Tenzin shook his head. "If you take one step out of this house, you won't be allowed to go to the Pro Bending championship." Anya sighed as Tenzin started to walk away. "What if there's a fire?" She asked. Tenzin turned around. "What?" He questioned. "Well you said I'm not allowed to step out of the house." Anya replied. "What if there's a fire?" Tenzin sighed. "You know what I meant." He said. "And stop with the sass." Anya smiled. "Impressive." A voice said. Anya turned around to see Korra watching from her bedroom doorway. "Hey Korra." Anya said shyly. She still hadn't talked much to any of the older teens. "Don't be shy." Korra said with a smile. "Come in. I want to talk to you."

     As Jinora walked through the halls towards her room, she could hear something coming from Ikki's room. It sounded almost like she was......singing. Jinora opened the door slightly to see Ikki jumping up and down on her bed, singing. "Aren't you supposed to be sleeping?" Jinora asked. Ikki gasped. She stopped jumping and lay down on the bed, pretending to have just woken up. "Jinora?" She said, rubbing her eyes. "Is that you?" Jinora stepped inside and closed the door. "Cut the act." She replied. "You're not sick." Ikki sat up. "Fine." She said, irritated. "I'm not sick." "Why are you faking it then?" Jinora asked. Ikki sighed. "It doesn't matter. No one in this family cares about me." "Of course we care about you." Jinora replied. "No you don't." Ikki said defensively. "I'm the middle kid. Besides, Meelo has Rohan, and now you have Anya. And she's trying to take Dad away from us! I might as well not even exist." Jinora sat down on the bed. "Ikki, that's crazy." She replied. "You're my little sister and I love you. And I protect you. It's my job. And Dad is just trying to be nice to Anya. She's been through a lot." "Like what?" Ikki asked. "It's not my place to say." Jinora told her. "But imagine growing up, not knowing who your dad is. And then one day, your mom just disappears and you never know what happened to her. Then you have to live out on the streets at nine years old, struggling everyday and hoping that someone is nice enough to give you food." "All that happened to Anya?" Ikki questioned. Jinora nodded. "Now she has this house, and all of us. It's a big change for her. She's shy and it's hard. Dad is being nice to make her feel more at home." She explained. "Anyway, no one is going to replace you Ikki. You're one of the most important people in this family. You should try to get to know Anya. You'd like her a lot." Ikki smiled and hugged her older sister. "Thanks Jinora."

Anya: Aww, cute big sister moment!

Me: Yeah, I felt it was necessary. Someone commented reminding me I never addressed the fact that Ikki thought you were trying to steal Tenzin away.

Anya: Yeah, I was wondering about that.

Me: Anyway please comment and vote if you enjoyed, and I'll see you all next time!