Chapter 14 - War Preparations

Me: Hey guys! It's been two weeks so it's time for an update!

Anya: Since when do you update every two weeks?

Me: Well I just kind of noticed a trend so that's how it'll be.

Anya: Whatever. Enjoy reading about me!

    The police force was actively recruiting members. They promised financial stability in return for joining, so the army force was easily growing in numbers. Varrick was constantly inventing new weapons, and Bolin was usually out helping him. Tenzin increased the security on Air Temple Island, including setting traps for any unauthorized boats, missiles, or people in the water surrounding the island. Overall, everything became a lot more sheltered.
    Anya and Jinora were laying on their beds in their room, reading. Anya sighed and put her book down. "I'm bored." She said, sitting up. "Let's go do something." "Dad isn't gonna let us do anything." Jinora replied. "Come on." Anya begged. "We can at least try. Let's go down and play with the Bison." Jinora smiled and stood up.
     "Hold it!" Tenzin exclaimed, stopping Anya and Jinora in their tracks. They had almost made it, they were halfway out the door. "Dang it." Anya mumbled under her breath. She turned around. "Where do you think you two are going?" Tenzin asked. "Down to visit Kuzan." Anya replied, as if it was nothing. "No you're not." Tenzin told them. "No one is going anywhere." "Come on Tenzin." A voice said. Tenzin turned around to find Korra behind the three. "I'll go down with them and make sure they're okay." Tenzin sighed. "Okay, but this is your responsibility."
      Anya didn't say anything as she, Jinora, and Korra walked down to the bison. Kuzan flew over and greeted Anya by licking her face, Haru sitting on top of his head. She smiled and let Haru crawl onto her shoulder. "Anya?" Korra said. "Can we talk?" Anya had avoided Korra ever since she and Bolin got back. Anya sighed and sat down on a large rock. "I guess." "I'm really sorry about what happened." Korra started. "It definitely was not the plan." Anya just looked down, so Korra kept talking. "Yes we were supposed to get captured, but I was supposed to go with you. And we were supposed to go to the headquarters. I had no idea the Outsiders had a prison." "It's okay." Anya mumbled. "You couldn't have." "It's not okay." Korra replied. "I shouldn't have put you in danger like that." "Korra, seriously." Anya said. "It's fine. It happened, and it's over." Korra smiled. "You're a tough one, kid."

     Lin Beifong came to the house the next day, questioning Anya and Bolin about what they saw. After describing the experience, Anya looked at Beifong. "If they have a prison," she started, "that means they've already taken over some towns. Maybe even cities. There were a lot of people there." "We should scan the cities." Tenzin said from where he was standing. "I can take Oogi and go see what's been taken over." "I'm coming with you." Anya replied. "No." Tenzin answered sternly. "I'm going alone." "What if something happens to you?" Anya asked. "No one will know until it's too late. We can bring Jinora too. We'll all watch out for each other." Tenzin sighed. "You're stubborn, just like your mother." Anya smiled.

     They left on Oogi the following day. Mako, Korra, and Bolin all came along too. They flew for hours, checking each city they came along for capture. So far, so good. After a while, they stopped in a small village for food. They were sitting on the edge of the boardwalk, watching ships pull in as they ate. Anya was feeding Haru slices of cantaloupe. Tenzin stood. "I'll be back." He said. "Don't go anywhere." A few minutes later, a boat pulled into the dock, and the workers started unloading it. The crates they were pulling out had sheets over them. "Why would they put sheets over the cargo?" She asked. "It's probably something illegal." Mako answered. "Usually smugglers do it with stolen goods or banned items." "Should we do something about it?" Jinora questioned. Mako shrugged and said, "I'm not a cop anymore." The teens continued eating their lunch, but Anya noticed something silver on the outside of one of the crates. "I'll be back." She said, standing up. "Just get back before Tenzin gets here." Korra told her. Anya nodded and started towards the ship.
       She wove her way around moving workers and piles of crates. There were some sacks strewn across the floors too. Anya made her way into a corner and lifted the sheet off of one of the boxes. She nearly gasped when her suspicions had been confirmed. The Outsiders' symbol was printed on this box, probably all of them. Anya pulled the top off of the crate and was shocked at what she found. It was full of fish. "Hey!" A voice yelled. "There's a kid back here trying to steal our wares!" Anya kicked the box of crates down and ran out of the ship, making her way over to the other teens, three large men chasing her. "We should go find Tenzin." She said quickly. "Come on!"
     Tenzin was in town, and not very hard to find. Anya spotted him first and ran over. Tenzin stepped in front of her when the three men came up to them. "Your kid was trying to steal from us." One said. Most of his teeth were missing. Tenzin looked down at Anya and sighed. "I'm sure this will cover the damages." He said, pulling thirty Yuans out of his pocket. The man growled and took the money. "She better not do it again." Tenzin turned on Anya. "I wasn't stealing from them." She said immediately. "I was-" "I don't care what you were doing." Tenzin interrupted. "I told you to stay put." Mako, Korra, Bolin, and Jinora all came up behind Tenzin. "From now on you are to be in my sight at all times." "But-" Anya started. "Back to Oogi." Tenzin said. "Don't make me tell you again." The flight on Oogi was quiet for the next few hours, but Anya had only one thought on her mind. Why was the Outsiders symbol stamped on a crate full of fish?