Chapter 9 - The Return

Jinora slowly opened her eyes. As her vision became clear, she found she was sitting in what looked like attic. Anya was nearby, and her hands were tied behind her back. Jinora noticed that her own hands were tied as well. So were her legs, and there was tape over her mouth. "Mmmph." Jinora said, the tape muffling her voice. "You're awake!" Anya said. "I melted my tape off. I'm trying to burn the ropes on my hands." "Mmmph." Jinora said again. "When I left I went to go look at that closet with the lock on it." Anya explained. "Hema caught me and asked what I was doing. She told me she would show me what was in it and brought me up here. Then she sprayed me with some kind of perfume." Jinora nodded to indicate that she had been sprayed with it as well. "I almost got it." Anya said. The door opened and Hema came in. She noticed that Anya had melted her tape off. "No matter." Hema said. "My husband will be home soon. And then we feast." She walked over and pressed a knife to Jinora's cheek. "You'll make tasty seal jerky." She said. She then put a finger under Anya's chin, forcing her to look up. "And you. You'll make a fine arctic hen." Anya quickly snapped her head down and bit. She tasted blood. "You little-" Hema started, pulling her finger back. "I'll kill you first!" She added, pointing the knife at Anya. "That hen you ate last night was a pretty little girl, like you. She tasted good, but she had far too much fat. I think you'll taste much better." As Hema left the room, Anya didn't say anything. She just focused on burning the rope so they could escape. When she got it, she used one hand to burn the rope off her legs, and the other to burn the rope on Jinora's. Once that was done, she quickly got rid of the rope on Jinora's hands and took the tape off of her mouth. "Anya-" Jinora started. "We can't talk now." Anya interrupted. "We have to get out of here. How long do you think we could stay in the air?" "If we jump, I could probably keep both of us up for about fifteen minutes." Jinora explained. That's long enough to get us away." Anya replied. She quickly burned a hole in the wood large enough for them to fit through. Then, the two girls were gone, soaring into the night.
They stopped once they had gone a few miles away. Jinora was exhausted, so she leaned on Anya for support as they walked. "Look." Anya said, pointing to lights in the distance. "It looks like an Earth Kingdom village. We'll rest for a while and head there in the morning."
The following morning, they headed into the village. There were a lot of people, but nobody really acknowledged them. They were looking around when Jinora spotted something. "Follow me!" She said to Anya. She ran over to where a group of (older) teenagers were. They were all girls, and they were wearing green dresses with fans hanging at the sides. "No way." Anya said under her breath. "Excuse me." Jinora said when they had reached them. "How can we help you?" One of the women said. "My name is Jinora." Jinora introduced. "And this is Anya. Our grandfather is Avatar Aang." "You were friends of Suki?" The woman asked. "I knew her for a little while when I was a toddler." Jinora replied. "Then we shall help you in any way we can." The woman said. "My name is Yui. Tell me what happened."
It took half an hour for Jinora and Anya to explain everything that had happened to them. "Our dad is probably worried sick." Jinora finished. "We need to get back to Republic City." "We can take you there." Yui told them. "We'll have to take a ferry, but it's the quickest way we can." "Thank you so much." Jinora said.
The ferry ride to Republic City didn't take more than a day. The Kyoshi warriors personally delivered Anya and Jinora back to Air Temple Island. "Thank goodness you're safe." Tenzin said, hugging Jinora and Anya. "We wouldn't have gotten out if it wasn't for Anya." Jinora said. "And the Kyoshi warriors." Pema ran over and hugged Jinora. The singing gopher and Kuzan came over to Anya and started rubbing their heads on her.
That night, Tenzin took Anya an Jinora into the lounge and they had a long talk about everything that happened. "You said there were two men." Tenzin said. "What were their names?" "Xin and Katone." Jinora replied. "If I had to guess, I would say Katone was a waterbender. Xin was definitely an earthbender." "What did they want?" Tenzin asked. "We had established a connection and heard their demands, but it went dark after that." "Xin had found a man from the earth kingdom to sell us to." Jinora answered. "He was going to pay 500,000 Yuans. We escaped and found a water tribe village after that. A woman named Hema took us in and then-" Anya flinched at the mention of this. "Why aren't you saying anything?" Tenzin asked. "She was going to kill us." Anya said. "She was going to kill us and eat the meat. She had done it before. The girl before us. She fed her to us." "You didn't-" Tenzin started. Anya started to cry. Tenzin immediately embraced her into a hug. "I didn't eat much." Anya said inbetween sobs. "I took one or two bites because I thought it tasted funny, but still." "It's alright." Tenzin said, rubbing Anya's back. "You didn't know." Anya had stopped sobbing after a few minutes, and it had turned to just tears running down her face. Those stopped after a while too. "She's sleeping." Tenzin said to Jinora. "You should be too. Come on." Tenzin picked Anya up and settled her on his hip. She was surprisingly light. Jinora stopped once they got out of the lounge. "Dad?" She said. "Do- do you think we could sleep with you tonight?" "Of course." Tenzin said. He shifted to carrying Anya with one arm. He picked Jinora up with the other one. She weighed more than Anya did, but they still together didn't weigh more than 230 pounds, which Tenzin could lift easy. Pema smiled when they came into the room. Jinora had already fallen asleep, her head on Tenzin's shoulder. He place the two girls into the bed inbetween he and Pema, and went to sleep, his arm around both of their waists.

Anya: Awww, that was cute.

Me: Well I've kept everybody in suspense for about a month now.

Anya: So........am I having emotional trauma?

Me: You'll have to wait and see. Please comment if you enjoyed!