Chapter 15 - Eavesdropping

Me: Hey guys! Good morning!

Anya: But what if-

Me: Don't start that again. Anyway, it hasn't been two weeks but I felt like updating, so here I am! Please enjoy, and thanks for reading!

    Over the course of the next week the group checked over a dozen cities and small towns, none of them being taken over by the Outsiders. "I don't get it." Korra said. "We've searched everywhere nearby. How could there be nothing here?" "Maybe they only took prisoners from the other side of the world." Bolin suggested. "I don't think that's it." Mako replied. "We must be missing something." "Well we can't just give up." Korra said. "Why don't we stay in a town for a little while and see what kind of information we can dig up." "Like Avatar Aang." Jinora supplied. Tenzin sighed, but agreed.
They found a pretty decent sized town a few miles North where they decided to stay for a while. Tenzin found an inn, and he talked the owner into letting the group stay for as long as they needed by offering up some political favors. Jinora, Korra, and Anya were all in one bedroom, Mako and Bolin in another, and Tenzin got his own. There were a few other people staying in the inn, but not many. The downstairs area had a lounge and a kitchen. Guests were responsible for making their own meals, except on special occasions. In the fridge there were labels on everything, and if something didn't have a label, it was fair game. The first night they spent there was pretty comfy and enjoyable, but the next day was when things started to get weird.
Tenzin punished Anya by having her in his sight whenever possible. One of Anya's planned escapes from this punishment was staying in her room and pretending to be asleep whenever Tenzin came in the room. However, if Tenzin was going out, he'd take Anya with him. This wasn't all bad, because sometimes Anya got to hear things that she wasn't supposed to.
They walked into a building that Anya assumed was a government building. Immediately upon entering, Tenzin told Anya to sit in one of the waiting chairs and walked up to the woman at the front desk. "Hello." He greeted politely. "I'm here to see Senator Zao." The woman nodded and buzzed open the door. Anya sat for a few minutes, just looking around, taking in details. Black marble floors. Dark blue glossy walls, with sea green accents in the corners. A white dome protruded from the ceiling, but it appeared to just be decoration. The woman sat tapping away on a new tablet. She wasn't wearing glasses but she kept squinting at the screen, so she would need some soon. After a few minutes, the door opened and two men came in, arguing about something. "It's a bad business decision!" One said. "I can't have my business helping out your so-called group!" The woman didn't even look up. She just buzzed them in, so she appeared to know at least one of them, if not both, just by voice. Anya smirked. So-called group? Interesting. She stood and walked up to the woman's desk. "Excuse me, can I use your bathroom?" She asked. The woman nodded and buzzed open the door. "It's a little walk down the hall and to the left." She said. Anya nodded and walked through the door. The two men turned and went into a door on the right. Anya stopped for a second and looked up at the ceiling and upper walls. No cameras. Perfect. She stopped and pressed her ear to the door, listening. "I can't do this." One of the men said. "It'll hurt people." "No, no, no." The other replied. "It'll save people. By doing this, we're making society better. We're helping them. In our world there is no poor. No hungry. No sickness. It's pure." The first man made a small yelping noise, like he was being threatened with something. "And, my family will be safe, if I do this?" He asked. "Yes." The second man replied. "Your family will live in the high class apartments. You will work in the senate of business, and your children will get a fine education and soon replace your spot." The first man sighed. "Okay." There was a small scratching sound, like a pen on paper. At the end of the hall, Anya heard Tenzin's voice. She stood and casually started walking back towards the door. She heard the door at the end of the hall open, and then Tenzin's voice. "What do you think you're doing out here?" He asked. "I told you to stay in the lobby." "I just went to the bathroom." Anya said innocently. Tenzin sighed, and walked with Anya out the door to the building and back to the inn. That night, Anya lay awake in her bed. She had heard a good chunk of the conversation, and under different circumstances it could have meant anything. But this, paired with the Outsiders symbol stamped on the crates of fish? She was sure of it. The Outsiders were making deals with businesses and building community. If she told Tenzin, she knew she'd get in trouble for disobeying him. So, it was up to her to take the Outsiders down.

Me: Hey, this was kind of short, but I'll update again within the next three days or so instead of making you guys wait two weeks.

Anya: Oh aren't you so kind?

Me: You better watch it. I'll make you do this completely alone. I was planning on you having some kind of help, but now I'm not so sure.

Anya: Fine. Let everyone see how awesome I am on my own.

Me: Whatever. Please comment if you enjoyed!