Chapter 8 - Kidnapped

The police and everyone in the Air Temple spent hours searching, and all they could come up with was the fact that Anya and Jinora's gliders were gone. "Where could they have gone?" Mako wondered aloud. Everyone was having breakfast, but none of the adults had much of an appetite. "It's obvious they left on their own, or the gliders would still be here." Mako continued. "So where did they go?" No one had an answer, so they continued eating in silence. At one point, Pabu got up on Bolin's good shoulder and started tugging at his shirt. The singing gopher did the same. "What is it?" Bolin asked. Pabu and the gopher jumped down and started out of the room. "Let's follow them." Bolin said. "Are you kidding me?" Lin questioned. "They're just animals." "It's our only lead right now." Korra said. Korra, Bolin, Mako, Lin, and Tenzin all followed Pabu and the gopher, who lead them to the harbor. "Everyone spread out and look for them." Tenzin ordered. They did so, and not long after, everyone heard Korra say, "Guys? You might want to see this." Everyone raced over to where Korra was. On the side of one of the ships in the harbor was a circle with an upside-down triangle on the inside, painted in silver. "The Outsiders." Mako realized. "Oh no."

    When Anya woke, she was in a cage. There was a dull pain in the back of her head, and it was dark. She was quiet for a moment and heard some movement next to her. "Jinora?" She whispered. "Yeah." A voice said back. "It's me." "They're metal cages." Anya said. "I won't be able to melt the bars." Suddenly light flooded in as a large door was opened. A man in his early twenties walked in. He had dark hair and bright blue eyes. Another man followed behind him, this one older. He had short brown hair and green eyes. "Well, well, well." Said the older man. "Look what we have here." "I bet the Republic City Police will pay a lot to get Tenzin's precious daughters back." The other man said. The younger guy stepped towards Anya's cage. "Firebender." He said. He started to unlock it. "If you try anything," he added, "we'll kill your sister." Anya crawled out once the cage was open. "See the torches on the walls?" The older man said. "Light them, and maybe we'll let you eat today." Anya did as she was told, and she could now see that they were in what looked like a large shed made of wood. She glanced over at Jinora, who was still in her cage. She looked unharmed for the most part. "I'll be back." The man with green eyes said. "Don't let them escape." He left the shed and closed the door behind him. "Get back in your cage." The younger guy said. He spoke with a kind of authority, but there was no harshness in his voice. Anya used this to her advantage. "Do you think we could maybe, stay out of the cages?" She asked innocently. "No," the man replied. "I have to keep you in there." "You don't know much about airbenders, do you?" She said. "Well, not really." He answered. "Most airbenders tend to be claustrophobic." Anya explained, hoping Jinora would catch on. "They can't handle being in small spaces." Luckily, Anya heard Jinora's breathing quicken on her right. Jinora started freaking out, shaking the bars of the cages and breathing rapidly. "She's having a panic attack!" Anya exclaimed. "Let her out of there, please! She'll hyperventilate!" The man was hesitant for a moment, but he opened the door to Jinora's cage. He put sets of handcuffs on both girls, and they were attached to a metal platform on the ground, too heavy for almost anyone to move. "What's the plan?" Jinora whispered. "For now, we wait." Anya told her. "Don't try to escape or anything. We need a little bit of trust."

    Police knocked on every door asking if anyone had seen Jinora or Anya. Suspicious characters were being brought in for questioning. In the police station, Lin and Tenzin were discussing a plan. "We need to make contact." Tenzin said. "We need to ask them what they want." Lin sighed. "We'll broadcast it on the radio. If they really want what they're after, they'll find a way to make contact with us."

    It was over an hour before the older man returned. He came back with two containers, steam rising from them, and a brown paper bag. He handed a container to the younger guy and kept the other one. He then threw the paper bag on the ground near Jinora and Anya. Jinora opened it to find two rolls of bread, and a couple of berries. Jinora gave Anya a roll and they shared the few berries that they had, meanwhile the two men were eating steaming hot meals.
   That night, the older man left again. When he opened the door, cold air blew in, causing both Anya and Jinora to shiver. "Why does he leave you here?" Jinora asked. "Where does he go?" "None of your business." The man replied sharply. "Hey, come on." Anya said. "We're just trying to have a little friendly conversation. I don't think we introduced ourselves. I'm Anya, this is Jinora. Can you tell us your name?" The man sighed, but said, "Katone." "And the other man?" Jinora said. "What's his name?" "Xin." Katone replied. "But I'm not telling you anything else."
    Anya was awake with her knees pulled up to her chest, arms folded on top and her head leaning on her arms. Xin had come back hours ago, and it was dark outside. There were two cots at the far end of the shed. Katone was asleep in one of them, Xin was taking watch. Jinora was also asleep. Xin, who was sitting against the door that was slightly open, turned and looked at Anya. "Go to sleep." He said sternly. "Can't." Anya replied. "You better or I'll make sure you won't wake up again." Xin threatened. "No you won't." Anya told him. "You won't kill either of us. If you do, you won't have any leverage against Tenzin." Xin sighed and turned back to looking out the door.