Chapter 13 - A New Friend

Anya woke the next morning with a sigh. There was a prominent ache in her head, and her muscles were sore. She shivered in the cold, and though she felt as if she was freezing, she was sweating. When the guard came in that morning, he didn't wake Bolin immediately. "Spike wants to see you." He said. "Let's go." Anya stood up slowly and followed the guard out. They got to the infirmary, and the guard stopped. "Wait here." He ordered. He stepped inside the infirmary. Anya could her medics talking inside. "......illness spreading......some kind of flu......." The guard returned, holding something in his hand. "Let's go."
Anya had a break in the middle of the day, so she returned to the cell. Bolin was already there. "Hey." He said. "I talked to Bryce, and we came up with a plan. We have to get into the infirmary. Once we're there, a distraction that Bryce will set up beforehand will draw everyone to the main yard. We get through the door and go up the stairs. Then we follow the tunnels. We'll get to a ladder, and at the top there's a hatch. It opens up to a glass room which leads us into the lake. We'll swim up onto land, and then find our way back from there." Anya nodded. "It happens tonight." Bolin replied. "You should probably get some sleep." Anya nodded and lay down, eager to rest.
That night at dinner, Bolin and Anya had come up with the details of their plan to get into the infirmary. Bryce had already gotten himself there earlier in the day. He had to get there first to disable the lock on the door. When it was time for the change in guard, it was time for the plan to be put into action. Let's go." Bolin whispered. Anya nodded and stood up. The two started to walk towards the exit. "Hold it right there." One of the guards said. "No one leaves until dinner is over. We can't allow prisoners to roam the halls." "Sorry," Bolin apologized. "My friend here isn't feeling too well. We were just going back to the cell so she could rest." "What's wrong with her?" The other guard asked. As Bolin started making up symptoms, Anya was starting her part of the plan, the part guaranteed to get them into the infirmary. It wasn't hard for her to pretend she was about to pass out. The edges of her vision blurred and then sharpened again. Suddenly, she felt absolutely nothing at all, and she saw the ground rushing up at her.
"Anya?" Bolin said, concerned. She wasn't actually supposed to faint. This wasn't part of the plan. "Grab her." One guard ordered to Bolin. Bolin complied and picked up Anya, following the guards to the infirmary. He could feel the heat radiating off of her, and he could now see how much paler she got. She was sweating, and there were dark circles under her eyes.
Anya woke and was first aware of the headache she had. She saw Bolin sitting in a chair a few feet away, and Bryce was also laying in a bed. "Good, you're awake." Bolin said. "The doctor said you have a 104 degree fever. You could've told me you were sick you know." "Didn't think it mattered." Anya replied. She noticed there were no medics around. "The plan?" She asked. "We were just waiting for you to wake up." Bolin replied. "Everyone is already out in the yard, but they might be back soon. Can you stand?" Anya stood up, but Bolin could tell how obviously weak she was. He lifted her up onto his back. "Come on!" Bruce said. Bolin ran through the door, and up the stairs. They ended up in the main tunnel system, but once they got to the end, a problem arose. Halfway up the ladder to the hatch, Bryce fell. "Bryce!" Bolin called. "I'm okay!" Bryce replied. "But I think my leg is broken! Go without me!" "I can't leave you here!" Bolin yelled. "Just go!" Bryce called to him. Bolin sighed, but continued up the ladder. He made it up to the hatch and opened it. Once inside the glass, the teen put Anya down and closed the hatch to ensure that when he opened the door, the tunnels wouldn't flood. "Anya?" He said. "We have to swim now, remember? You're gonna have to help me out a little. Make sure you hold your breath." Anya nodded and stood unsteadily. Bolin, keeping one arm around Anya, opened the door and swam out. Anya did her best to swim, and soon she and Bolin broke through the surface of the water. They quickly made it to land. Bolin lead Anya into a cave and Anya used her last bit of strength to create a fire. Right after, she passed out.

Almost a full day had passed before Anya woke up again. When she did, Bolin was sitting a few feet away, tending to the fire. She sat up slowly and noticed that a jacket had been wrapped around her. "Bolin?" She said, her voice rough from lack of use. "You're awake!" Bolin exclaimed, hugging Anya. "I was afraid you wouldn't wake up. How do you feel?" "Horrible." Anya replied, but she smiled to comfort Bolin. "I'll be okay." Bolin seemed to appreciate the smile gesture, because he smiled back. "Is this your jacket?" Anya questioned. "Yeah." Bolin replied. "A few hours ago your fever broke and your skin got ice-cold." They were silent for a few moments, and then Bolin spoke again. "We need to get out of here." He said. "Everyone is probably super worried by now." Anya put Bolin's jacket on properly, and the boy scooped her up, almost bridal style. Anya rested her head on the front of Bolin's shoulder. Bolin chuckled. "Comfy?" He asked. Anya nodded.

Bolin walked for a few miles, smiling when he finally came upon a town. "You still with me?" Bolin asked quietly. He felt Anya nod against his chest. "There's a small town coming up." He said. "I have a couple Yuans with me, it should be enough for us to get some food." They headed into the town. It was very diverse, having all kinds of benders and non-benders. Bolin walked up to a food kiosk. The woman running the kiosk was only a few years older than Bolin, in her early twenties. "What can I get you?" She asked. "How much for a bowl of soup?" Bolin questioned. "Eight Yuans." The woman replied with a smile. "And how much for some roasted pork and rice?" Bolin asked. "Six Yuans." The woman answered. Bolin sighed. He only had ten Yuans. "Just the soup then." As he said this, his stomach growled, and the woman heard. She gave him a sympathetic smile. "I'll give you the pork too." She said. "No charge." "Really?" Bolin replied. "Thank you so much." "No problem." The woman replied with a smile. "I'm guessing the soup is for her?" She asked, putting the soup into a container. "Yeah." Bolin answered. He shifted Anya a little, redistributing her weight. "She hasn't been doing too well." "What happened?" The woman questioned. "It's kind of a long story." Bolin replied. "How about this?" She said. "I'll box up your pork and rice, take some for myself, and we can go talk about it at my house? Your friend can rest there too." Bolin smiled. "Alright." "By the way," she said, "my name is Carrie." "Hi Carrie." Bolin replied. "I'm Bolin."

Carrie's house was pretty small, and it was very close to the neighbors. "Sorry." Carrie said upon arriving. "It's not the biggest house." "I like it." Bolin replied. "It's cozy."
By the time it got dark, Bolin and Carrie were still talking. They talked about how Bolin grew up on the street, what happened to him and Anya, Korra, and they talked a lot about Carrie's life. "Wow." Carrie said, glancing outside. "We were talking for almost six hours." Bolin looked over his shoulder at where Anya sat on the couch, and she was asleep with her head in her arms. He reached over and placed a hand on her forehead. "She feels a lot cooler." He said. "Now our only problem is trying to get back to Republic City." "There's a cruise-boat at the docks that will take people anywhere they want, if they can pay." Carrie replied. "I don't have any money." Bolin said. "Maybe we can sneak on. Hide with the luggage." Carrie laughed. "I'll pay for you." She said. "On one condition." "What's that?" Bolin asked. Carrie smiled. "You have to take me with you."

      They arrived at Air Temple Island three days later. Anya was feeling better luckily, Bolin thought Tenzin would have killed him if Anya was still sick. Carrie quickly made friends with Korra, and Meelo really seemed to like her too. Everything was going great, except for one thing. The Outsiders were planning an attack on Republic City. They were about to be at war.

Me: Hey guys! I actually finished this a while ago, but I didn't post because I like to have more than one chapter done at a time. Please comment if you enjoyed!