Chapter 15: The Heat

Jackson's POV

Everything around me was hazy to my eyes until I found myself in Mathis's arms and I didn't even fight my urge to wrap my arms around his neck and nuzzle my face into his chest as I allowed him to carry me. I just really needed him to be near me right now and even though I was burning up just his touch seemed to make me warmer, but the warmth from him was a pleasant warmth instead of the uncomfortable heat that was radiating through my body before. Mathis seemed to be hurrying back to the clan but I just focused on his body that was pressed against mine, and the way it created friction as he jogged.

Mathis made it back to our hut in record time and I found myself being placed down in the nest that I had redone and I buried my face into the new pillow that I had made. Mathis turned to leave when I shot my hand out and grabbed his as I tried to pull him back into the nest with a whimper. I really didn't want him to leave right now, I wasn't feeling like myself and I just needed him here. He kissed my hand before he pressed me back into the nest and gave me a small smile.

"I will be right back, there is a few things that I need to get. Just stay here, ok?" He said softly as he ran his hands through my hair.

"No, stay here," I begged softly. I don't know what I would do if he left me right now but I don't think I would be able to handle it.

He pressed another kiss to my hand, "I have to go for a few minutes but I will be right back. I promise. Here," he scooped up Den who had just wandered into the room, "Den will protect you and keep you company, just wait for me here." Mathis then looked to Den, "Make sure he stays here."

Den seemed to nod in understanding and I looked between the two of them in confusion. Shrugging it off I buried my nose into Den's soft fur as I reluctantly allowed Mathis to leave. Once he was out of the bedroom I seemed to heat up even more and the nest that I was so comfortable in just seemed wrong as I squirmed around to try to get comfortable again. If Mathis wasn't back soon then I don't know what I'll do.

Mathis's POV

It went against every Alpha instinct that I had to leave Jackson while he is beginning to go into his heat but I forced myself from the hut so I could gather a few things that I would need. Everything in me was screaming for me to return to my unprotected mate but I pushed it down, but since I just had to have a fight for him today my protective instincts were on high alert.

I almost sighed in relief when I saw that the butchery was open and I ran up to the counter frantically, "I need at least a weeks worth of meat for two people as quick as you can," I demanded with wide and frantic eyes.

The butcher, a Beta, nodded in understanding as he wrapped the meat quickly, "I've already had five other Mates come here tonight, the Heats seem to be starting," he told me as he continued to wrap the cuts of meat, "But you seem to be the most frantic, first Heat?" he asked.

Rubbing my face I nodded yes to him, "And I didn't catch the signs early enough so I have to get back as soon as I can," I muttered in shame.

"I'll make sure you get water delivered to you, I'll tell the other Betas that you will be out of commission for a few days," he informed me as he handed the meat over.

Nodding in thanks I hurried off with the meat. I didn't care if the Betas knew that Jackson was in heat because the Betas didn't go into a rut like the Alpha's do. When an Alpha's mate goes into a Heat the Alphas go into a rut so they can mate, but the Betas don't. So during mating season when all of the Omegas are going into heats it is the best and the worst time to try to raid a rivaling clan. Since most of the Alphas are with their mates it makes the clan more vulnerable to attacks, but when the Alpha is in a rut they are also their most protective of their home and mate so it is nearly suicide to challenge or approach an Alpha during their rut unless you're their mate. That means that during the Mating season it is up to the Beat couples or unmated Betas and Alphas to keep the clan safe and to make sure that all of the Mating couples are provided with fresh water every day.