Chapter 17: Mad Fever

The whole week after the announcement to the warriors I spent running around doing chores and errands. No one asked me to do anything but I could see that everyone was happy for the help. The butchery was butchering and salting meats to get ready for winter and the attack on Konek, so they were happy to have my experienced hands. The tailors were furiously trying to make enough warm outfits for everyone and I was quick to help as I gave them pointers about different things. I knew that Konek winters could be brutal and how vital it was to have good clothes and I knew what it was like to not have the clothes needed. That just motivated me to make sure everyone would be well clothed. Clara was just reveling in the fact that I had been coming over to help her make salves and other medicines that the warriors would need and could travel with. She was sending a few healers along but it would also be nice if the warriors could help themselves if they needed to.

Where I was the most celebrated though was the forge. For some reason I could make the lightest armor that still held up against an arrow and sword and no amount of teaching could coach the other blacksmith to do the same. The armor was sold as soon as they were done and even before, there was also the plus that I fitted the armor to the person so it worked for them and allowed them to fight how they wanted. I was also making my specialized weapons still that went like hotcakes. The forge was always full when I was there and I was constantly taking measurements and asking questions.

Today was particularly busy and I kept on a cool demeanor as I scurried around, "Next," I called as I scratched the measurements on a piece of parchment with a bit of charcoal. A large beta stepped up and he looked nervous as he wrung his hands together, "What is your weapon?" I asked quickly as I looked at the man expectantly.

The man looked to the side and muttered something, but it was so loud with the chattering warriors that I missed it, "What was that?" I asked him.

"A scythe," he mumbled a bit louder.

"A scythe?" the warrior behind him snickered, "What kind of weapon is that? Are you going to cut their crops for them? Get out of here man," he urged with a slightly annoyed look.

The man looked disappointed as he started to slink out of the room. Glaring at the warrior that insulted the man I ran towards the retreating Beta as the other warriors shrunk away from us. I placed a hand on the Beta's forearm and he looked down at me in shock, "I need to take some measurements," I told him softly. If he wanted a scythe then a scythe he was going to get.

Bringing the Beta back to the front of the line I sat back down with my charcoal, "Right or left handed?" I asked.

"Left," he answered quietly.

Nodding, I asked him a few more questions before I measured his hand, fingers, fore arm and whole arm length. Nodding again I stood up and grabbed a thick stick, a rounded piece of metal and twine. Tying the pieces together I made the rough shape of a scythe and tossed it at the Beta, who snatched it out of the air.

"Swing that around for me a bit," I instructed, " I want to see how you move."

He looked confused but nodded as he started to swing the scythe shaped object like he was fighting someone. Once I had seen what I wanted I stopped him and took back the wood and metal, "Come back tomorrow and I will have it ready for you," I told the Beta. He smiled and thanked me profusely as he skipped out of forge.

The next warrior, then one why insulted the Beta, stepped up and smiled at me, "I use a short sword, right handed, I like slashing rather then stabbing," he listed off, but he stopped when he saw that I wasn't writing anything down. "Why aren't you writing anything down?" he asked in confusion.

"Why should I make you a weapon?" I asked as I rested my chin on my knuckles and looked at the floundering Alpha.

"Because I'm paying for it," he said slowly.