Chapter 14: Jason

I hated Octavian.

With all of my heart, all of my soul, I despised my cousin. He was a selfish brat who would do anything to get what he wanted. 

And now he had threatened my slave. He hadn't said it out loud, of course, but I knew him. He had done the same thing with Thalia's old handmaiden, Gwen, and she had been found with her throat slit open.

She hadn't even been a slave. 

And I'll be damned if I'm letting that happen to Piper. She was a good slave, the best one I've ever had.

I had tracked down the red-haired slave that Octavian had been complaining about and locked her in my room too. Hopefully, they'd both be safe there.

I was sitting next to Thalia at the family dinner table. Octavian was sitting across from me, next to my aunt and uncle. 

To say things were tense was an understatement. My Aunt Demeter, who was Octavian's mom, and my father had always hated each other. Everyone knew that she wanted Octavian to be king, and that she wanted me dead. My Uncle Apollo had the same ideas as her.

Thalia hated Octavian just as much as I did. She had never forgiven him for Gwen's death.

When dinner finally ended, I couldn't have been happier. I walked up to my room, opened the door, and found Piper and the girl having what appeared to be some singing competition (Piper was definitely winning).

They both shut up the second they saw me, and curtsied. 

"Hello your highness," They both said at the same time.

"Did you two eat dinner?" I asked. They both nodded. "Good. I'll have someone bring you two blankets, and then I want you to go to sleep. Understood?"

"Yes your majesty," They both replied.

I grabbed my sword and left the room, locking the door behind me. Then I told the nearest slave girl to bring them blankets. I had been planning on hacking at a tree with my sword, which is what I normally do when Octavian visited, but my plans were cut short when a slave told me that my father had called for me.

I followed him to the Throne Room, where my father was waiting.

"Hello father," I said. "You sent for me?"

"Yes, I did," He said from his throne. "I have something I need to talk to you about, son."

I stayed silent, waiting for him to continue.

"You are my heir, as you know. And as the future king of this empire, you have obligations to the throne," He said. "You excel at most of them, and I am sure you will make a great king. But seeing as you are sixteen in two weeks, I have decided that you need to fulfill what is possibly your biggest obligation, Jason."

He leaned forwards. "You need an heir, Jason."

I froze. Did I hear him correctly?

"I have already finalized your marriage plans," He said. "You are to marry Reyna Ramírez-Arellano in two months time."

My heart was beating in my ears, and my throat tasted dry. Yet I couldn't find the words to speak.

"Do you have anything to say about this, son?" My father asked.

It took me a couple seconds, but I answered. "No."

"Good," He said. "Now go get your sister. I'm going to marry her to Lord Dionysus' son."