Chapter 39: Hazel

It was the first time I had ever seen Nico smile.

My gloomy brother, who didn't want to inherit my father's manor and just wanted to travel, was always frowning. So when I saw him coming up the stairs when I went to get a snack, I almost didn't recognise him.

"Oh, hi Hazel," He said cheerfully as he walked past me, leaving me with my jaw hanging open.

What the hell was that? I asked myself.

I got my snack from the pantry, and walked back to my room, my brother's unusual behaviour on my mind. Eventually, I fell asleep.

***

I awoke to Frank lightly shaking me.

"Haz," He said. "It's, like, lunch."

"Haz?" I asked.

"Yeah," He said. "I've decided to call you Haz. You overslept. It's lunchtime."

"But I don't want to get up," I mumbled. "Bring me my lunch."

"Now why would I do that?" He asked. "I'm not your handmaiden."

"I'll give you a kiss if you do," I mumbled.

He stood up. "I'll be right back.

I smiled. Ever since that day we kissed, it had become incredibly easy to get Frank to do what I wanted.

And I didn't mind kissing him, either. In fact, I really enjoyed it. It made me feel like I was with Sammy again.

So it was a win-win situation.

Frank returned a couple minutes later with a plate of eggs. I ate them quickly, then gave him his reward kiss.

After ten minutes, I got out of bed. I sent Frank out of the room, got dressed, brushed my hair... you know, all of that stuff. It was at times like this where I wished I had a handmaiden. Don't get me wrong, Frank is great company. More than that, actually. At this point, I was pretty sure I'd feel like I was missing a part of me if he was taken away from me.

But sometimes, you just need to have a girl to talk to.

Maybe I'd ask my dad for one. He had been in a good mood lately, and would probably get me one.

I let Frank back in, and we played a couple rounds of chess. He was slowly getting better, and I couldn't wait for the day where he could beat me.

Then he took me to my father's office, and I asked for a handmaiden. Thankfully, he said he'd get me one. Then we walked back to my room.

Once we got there, we laid down on my bed. We did this a lot lately, just cuddle together.

"Hey, Frank?" I asked after an hour or so.

"Yeah?" He replied.

"Where do you sleep?" I asked.

He turned his head towards me. "A room."

"Is it nice?" I asked.

"Yeah," He smiled. "Much nicer than my one back at the farm. Almost as nice as this one."

"That's good," I murmured as I cuddled closer to him.

I didn't know why Frank always made me feel so safe, so loved. But I loved it.

Maybe you love him, my heart whispered.

Whoa, where did that thought come from?

There was no way I loved Frank. We were just really close friends with a mutual attraction to each other!

Yeah, that's why his kisses send shivers down your spine, my heart mocked. Or the way he makes you smile when he does. Or the way you find yourself attracted to him like a magnet.

Shut up, heart, I ordered. But the doubts remained in my mind.

Maybe that was why I was feeling all of the emotions I had with Sammy when I spent time with Frank. Maybe I did love him.

And maybe that wasn't a bad thing.