Chapter 53: Piper

It had been a week since Jason's coronation. The stress of the crown was already getting to him, and he rarely had any time to spend with me during the day. We had a couple hours at night, but he was always so tired, and burnt out from his day of ruling.

Also, to make matters worse, I kept throwing up in the morning. Which was strange, because I wasn't sick.

I was eating breakfast with my friends. Rachel wasn't here. Ever since she figured out she was pregnant four months ago, she hadn't left her room. We took turns bringing her meals.

"So," Lou Ellen said. "Moonblood's started."

Everyone groaned.

"It has?" I asked.

"Uh, yeah," Miranda said. "Didn't you notice when you woke up in a pool of your own blood this morning?"

I shook my head. "I didn't get it."

"That's strange," Lou Ellen said. "Everyone get's it. Unless your barren, which you're not."

"Or if you're pregnant," Zoë pointed out.

My eyes widened. "I'm not pregnant."

"You sure about that?" Miranda asked. "I mean, you have slept with the king, haven't you?"

"Yeah," I said. "But I'm not pregnant."

Everyone shrugged and changed the topic of the conversation, but doubts were starting to creep into my mind.

After breakfast, I helped Jason get ready for the day. Then I walked down to Rachel's room.

Jason had given her paint, and she had been using it. The walls were covered in murals. Some of them were happy, depicting animals and gardens. But most of them were dark, with people crying, dying, and laughing at others pain.

"Hi, Rachel," I said. She turned away from her newest artwork, which depicted a pregnant woman with see-through skin on her stomach. The developing baby inside her was a demon.

"Hi, Piper," Rachel said. "Why are you here? Miranda already brought me breakfast."

"I wanted to ask you about something," I said.

"What?" She asked.

"How did you find out you were pregnant?" I asked.

Her eyes clouded with sadness. "I was craving fish, and was throwing up every morning, but I didn't feel sick. Then I didn't get my moonblood. Finally, I went to see the slave's doctor, and he told me that I was, based off my symptoms. Why?"

I opened and closed my mouth a couple times. Everything Rachel had described was happening to me. I had missed my moonblood, was throwing up every morning, and had cravings for bread.

"I think I'm pregnant," I whispered, barely believing it.

Rachel's eyes widened. "Did he rape you too?"

I shook my head. "No."

She looked relieved. "Then who's the father?"

"Jason," I replied, trying to wrap my head around the concept that there was a tiny human growing inside me.

"Well, congratulations, I suppose," Rachel said sadly.

***

How am I going to do this?

I was waiting for Jason to return from his court meeting.

How do I tell him?

Should I be direct? Say a huge speech before hand?

And how was he going to react? I mean, he was married. A bastard child probably wasn't something he wanted right now.

Just then, the door opened.

"Hi Piper," Jason said.

"Hi," I said nervously. Oh god. This is it.

He cupped my cheek with his hand. "What's wrong?"

I was silent for a couple of seconds. "Jason..."

"Yes?"

"I'm pregnant."

He lowered his hand. "What?"

"I just found out today," I said.

"I'm going to be a dad?" He asked. I looked into his eyes, expecting to see anger, but instead, all I saw was excitement.

That caused me to smile. "Yes."

He smiled, and touched my stomach with his hands. "Oh my god."

He touched his forehead to mine. "You're going to be a great mother, Pipes."

"And you're going to be a great father," I replied.

"Oh."

Both of our heads shot towards the door.

"I'm sorry to bother you," Queen Reyna said. "From... this. I just came to inform you that I am pregnant, your highness."

Then she turned and walked out the door, leaving us absolutely shocked.