Chapter 63: Annabeth

I had no idea what was going on.

We were already in our cells when the horns had sounded, and the shouting began. Soon afterward, I could hear the clashing of swords, and all the sounds of battle. I knew that the manor was being attacked, but by who?

I shared a cell with Calypso, who was lying on her cot. I was sitting on mine, carving what sort of resembled a sword, listening to the sounds of the battle. I tried to think of who would be attacking Lord Hades, but my mind kept drawing up blanks. The most I could think of was escaped slaves, as I had heard some guards talking about a rumor they'd heard about a slave rebellion. But that was probably all it was; a rumor. Even if it was true, it wouldn't explain why they'd attack here, of all places. This was one of the most well-protected manors in the entire Roman Empire.

After at least 2 hours, the battle stopped. Or, at least, it sounded that way. There was still shouting, but it sounded happy, like they were celebrating something.

"Hey Annabeth," I heard Calypso say. I turned to face her, abandoning my wall mural that had turned from a sword to a horrible drawing of Percy. I still missed him terribly, of course, and didn't know why I was drawing him on my wall when even thinking of him brought me pain.

"What?" I asked.

"Want to sneak out?"

I looked at her like she was crazy. I could see other slaves turn to look at us, obviously hearing her words.

"Right after a battle?" I asked. "Are you crazy?"

"Oh, c'mon, don't you want to see who won?" She asked. "And who was fighting?"

I stared at her for awhile, considering her offer. Eventually, I made my decision. "I can see why Leo likes you. You're just as crazy as him."

Calypso smiled, knowing that I had just agreed, and started pulling the loose bricks out of the wall.

"Annabeth," I heard Sally say from the cell across from mine. I turned to face her. Over the past eight months, I had grown quite close to the boy I love's mother. "Be careful."

"I will be," I promised as Calypso pulled out the last brick, and we crawled out.

Calypso had been here much longer than I had, and knew exactly how to sneak around undetected. We crept through the gardens, and hid in the bushes. We had a perfect view of the courtyard, which was peppered with corpses and men.

The men were patting each other on the back and sheathing their swords. None of them wore the sigil of the di Angelo family on their armor. As I looked at the corpses, I noticed most of them did.

I could tell which man was in charge because of the way the other men were interacting with him. I was too far away to see his face, but I could tell he had black hair. He looked familiar.

He was talking to a blond man, who also looked familiar. When he cleared his throat, everyone went silent.

"Find the di Angelo family, and take every living man as a prisoner," His voice was very familiar, and I'd recognize it anywhere. "And most importantly, free the slaves!"

No, it couldn't be, I thought as the men cheered and ran to do what their leader asked. My heart was beating quickly. Impossible.

But then the blond man who was talking to him spoke, and I couldn't believe my ears.

"She'll be here, don't worry," The man said. "Annabeth will be here, Percy."

I sprung out of the bushes, ignoring Calypso's hand that tried to stop me. I called out his name, and he turned to me.

We both stared at each other for a few seconds, not believing our eyes. Than we both ran forward, shouting each other's names, not caring who heard.

As he came closer, I could see every detail of his face, which was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. If possible, he had grown even more attractive in the time we'd been apart.

As we reached each other, he threw his arms around my waist and lifted me into the air. I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him, harder and more passionately than I'd ever done before. He returned the favor.

I couldn't believe it. He was here, in my arms. He had come back for me.

Eventually, we had to pull apart for air. I rested my forehead on his.

"You came back for me," I said happily.

"Why of course I did," He smiled. "I promised you, didn't I?"

And then we were kissing again. Tears were running down my cheeks, but out of happiness, not sadness. He gently placed me back on the ground, without breaking our kiss.

We broke apart again, but mainly because Lord Hades had been forced to his knees beside us. Soon afterward, his wife and children joined him. Percy snaked his arm around my waist and turned us so that we were facing them.

It was so strange, having the people I'd called my masters on their knees before me. Lord Hades, his wife, and Lady Bianca were looking at us with rage in their eyes, while Lord Nico's face was devoid of emotion. Hazel, on the other hand, looked confused and betrayed, especially when she looked at me.

"Put them in their cells," Percy called to a few men, one of whom I recognized as Travis. They obeyed, pulling the di Angelos to their feet and leading them off. I noticed that their hands were tied behind their backs.

"What are you going to do to them?" I asked, a little worried for Hazel though I knew Percy would never harm someone he didn't have too.

"Don't worry, they'll just be locked in the backs of wagons," He said reassuringly.

"Good," I sighed in relief. "Hazel is my friend."

Percy turned me so that I was facing him again, and ran his hand across my cheek. "I've missed you so much, Annabeth."

"I've missed you too," I said, wrapping my arms around his neck.

"I have so much to show and tell you," He said lovingly. "I've helped so many people, Annabeth."

I rested my forehead against his. "Then show me."

***

"So you're a king now?" I asked.

Percy had just told me everything. How he escaped from the ludus, how he grew his army, how they made him their king, how he did it all just to get me back. It was incredible.

"Yeah," He said. "I am."

I smiled. He would make an amazing king.

We were sitting in his tent at the army's camp. I had met a lot of new people, and reunited with old friends. I felt like I was in Heaven.

"But there's a problem," He said.

"There is?" I asked worriedly, my mind racing to come up with problems he could be facing.

"Yeah," He took my hands in mine, and placed an object in them. I looked down, and saw an apple. "I don't have a queen."

My eyes widened as I realized what he was saying. "You want me to be your queen?"

He nodded, and I threw my arms around him and kissed him. As he slowly lowered me onto the furs that made up his bed, I couldn't help but feel an immense happiness for the fact that I was going to spend the rest of my life with the man I loved.