Chapter 52: Jason

"I don't think I can do this."

"Shut up," Piper said as she straightened my toga. "Of course you can."

"I'm not ready to be king," I said.

Piper stared into my eyes. "You'll be fine, Jason. You're going to be a great king."

"I don't know," I said. "I'm not very involved in politics, Piper. Everyone's going to see me as either someone that can be replaced or someone they can use."

"Then make a name for yourself!" She said. "Start by looking regal and strong when you're coronated!"

"I don't know if I can do that," I said. "I'm so nervous."

"Then fake it," She said. "Plus, there might a nice reward for you if you do well..."

She said the last bit seductively, then bit her lip while looking at mine. I felt myself harden, which really sucked because that was the last thing I needed right now.

"Now, c'mon," She said. "It's almost time."

I nodded, taking a deep breath. You can do this, Jason.

I wanted to talk to Thalia. She was always good at these sort of things. But she had gone back to Lord Dionysus' manor yesterday, and I wouldn't see her till her wedding in a week.

I started the walk to the Great Hall, which was where the ceremony was taking place. I stopped at the doors, took a deep breath, and walked in.

The ceremony hadn't started yet, but almost everyone was here. I walked up to my seat near the pedestal, next to Reyna.

We hadn't spoken since our wedding night. We both knew we had only done our duty, but it was still awkward. Today wasn't an exception.

Eventually, the ceremony started. I knelt down in front of the priest, and he began his speech. I couldn't really focus on his words.

This is it, I thought. You're going to walk out of this room as the king of Rome.

Then, it was time.

"Do you, Jason Grace, vow to serve your people faithfully and fairly?" The priest asked.

"I swear it on my father's grave," I replied.

"Do you vow to keep your people safe from harm, and to lead your people into fights they will win?"

"I swear it on my honour as a Grace."

"Do you vow to bring honour and prosperity to Rome?"

"I swear it in the name of the lord."

"Then I now pronounce you king of Rome," The priest said as he lowered my new crown onto my head. "Rise, King Jason Grace the III!"

I rose to my feet, and everyone started clapping.