Chapter 82: Annabeth

I rocked Percy gently, trying to stop him from crying. But there was no one there to stop me, and my tears flowed freely.

Percy had died for nothing. I, along with everyone he gave his life up trying to save, were either dead or going back into slavery. I had never been this sad in my life.

I heard a lock click, and the door open. I turned my head, expecting to see Jason. But it wasn't Jason.

"Nico di Angelo?" I asked.

"Queen Annabeth," The black-haired Roman nodded.

"What- what are you doing here," I asked.

"We're rescuing you," He explained. "I'll explain later. Just follow me."

I stared at him for a few seconds, weighing my options. Then I decided that it would be better for my son and I to follow him, and I got out of my chair.

I followed him outside, where his sister, Bianca, was gagging the last guard. It was night, so we slipped through the castle easily.

We climbed over the castle walls easily.They already had a cart ready, and Nico and I climbed in as Bianca took the reins. The cart had no cover, so I could see the everything we passed.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"To a safe spot," Nico replied. "Somewhere the Romans will never find you."

"But why?" I asked. "Why are you giving up everything you have for me?"

"Because Nico refused to come back to our family after he ran away, and I knew he wouldn't make it two steps on his own," Bianca said jokingly.

"Everything I have?" Nico scoffed. "My father took everything I had when he burned the man I loved."

I remembered that night. Will had been such as kind, caring person. It was a memory I hoped I would someday forget.

"But why are you helping me?" I asked.

"Because you and your husband treated us nicely, despite the fact that we were your prisoners," He replied. "That's more than I can say for than anyone in Rome. Besides, now my sister Hazel will be my father's only child, and he'll probably legitimatize her. That's all she's ever wanted."

We rode for hours, until the sun rose. I could smell something horrible, like rotten flesh.

"Annabeth," Bianca said. "Would you like to say goodbye to your husband?"

I looked at her, eyes wide. "More than anything."

She pulled onto a road. The sides were covered in crosses, men nailed to them. Some of them were already dead. I brought my hand to my mouth, repressing the urge to puke. This worst part was the fact that I recognized these men. Almost every one of them.

We rode until we reached the last cross, which had the last person I wanted to see nailed to one on it. With Percy in my arms, I walked up the the only man I would ever love.

"Annabeth," He said dryly.

I choked back a sob. "Percy."

He looked down at me. "Is that our child?"

"Our son," I replied tearfully. "I named him Percy."

Percy smiled sadly. "I like the name."

I sobbed and rested my forehead against his ankles, the only part of him I could reach.

"I love you," I cried.

"I love you too," Percy replied sadly.

I lifted my head up. I didn't want to leave him, but I was worried that if I stayed any longer, these would be the only memories I would have of him.

"I'll see you in the next life," I cried.

He nodded. "Goodbye, Annabeth."

"Goodbye, Percy," I forced myself back to the cart, and climbed in. We rode away, but I stared at him as long as I could, tears streaming down my face. He did the same.

And then he was gone.

•The End•