Chapter 40: Frank

I had the worst nightmare of my life.

First, I saw my mother burn to death. Then I saw my father, getting stabbed through the heart by an unknown soldier. Then my grandmother was eaten alive by lions.

And, worst of all, Hazel told me she hated me, and was swallowed by the ground.

I awoke with a start, sweat beading on my forehead.

***

"Oh, my," Bianca said excitedly. "Hazel, look at these!"

I smiled as the sisters fawned over the jewellery in the shop.

We were in town, seeing as today was the Venditio Market. It was one of the biggest occasions of the year, taking place in a small town near Lord Hade's manor. The streets were lined with stalls, and packed with people, both nobles and commoners alike.

Nico was examining a ring with a sun on it, while Bianca and Hazel were looking at silver necklaces.

Eventually, we left the store. Lady Persephone and a few other equites were the only people here besides the children of Lord Hades. The lord had decided to stay home.

Lady Persephone was in her element. She was more enthusiastic about the stalls then her daughter.

Lady Bianca's handmaiden, Calypso, was there too. Lord Hade's had told Hazel that he had bought a girl from Lord Dionysus to be hers, and that she would be at the manor in two days. Hazel couldn't wait.

We had moved onto a weapon stall, which was lined with some of the most impressive blades I had ever seen. Then we moved on to a fabric stall. Then a book one.

By the end of the day, I was exhausted from carrying my load of the things that the di Angelos had bought. I loaded them onto the cart, and then climbed onto my horse, Ginger.

It was an hours ride back to the manor. Luckily, Ginger liked me, so the ride was relatively easy.

Eventually, we got back, and a slave took Ginger back to her stables. Then I walked with Hazel to her room.

"You're so lucky that you got to ride a horse," She said. "I had to sit in a cart."

"I'll happily trade places next time," I said. It was true, partly because riding horses was exhausting, mainly because I would probably jump in a volcano if Hazel asked me to, so I'd give her a horse in a heartbeat.

I knew that I loved her. I'd admitted it to myself a few days ago, and I knew that it was true. Hazel was just perfect. Beautiful, kind, intelligent, funny... I could keep going. When I had volunteered to be her guard after she was almost kidnapped, I didn't think that I would end up falling for her.

But I did, and raising my hand in that meeting when Lord Hades asked for volunteers was the best decision I had ever made.

"What are you thinking about?" Hazel asked me.

"Nothing," I said. "Nothing at all."