Chapter 71: Annabeth

The cruelty of Romans never ceases to amaze, and disgust, me.

"What should we do with them?" Luke asked from his horse next to my husband.

"Cut them down and bury them," Percy replied. "And make sure my mother doesn't see them."

Luke nodded to some men, who started cutting down the rope that kept the three men's bodies strung on the trees. I wanted to turn my head, but my eyes wouldn't let me.

The three men looked like they hadn't been out long. They had obviously been hanged, and were slaves. The message was clear; this is what will happen to you.

Once the men were buried, we continued riding. I rode up beside Percy.

"Why didn't you want your mother to see those men?" I asked.

"One of them was my father," Percy replied, keeping his eyes fixed on the horizon.

My mouth dropped open a bit. I studied his face, which was as expressionless as stone. I knew he was keeping his emotions in check because he was around his men, but it scared me a little. When we were alone, he acted like his normal self. But around his men, he acted like a king.

We were on the move, seeing as we never stayed in one spot too long. The only thing stopping King Jason from sending his legion after us was the fact that he had no idea where we were, and we intended to keep it that way.

Percy and I had been married for a little under a month now. I didn't regret it. But I had to admit, at times, I didn't like being queen. But if that was what it took to be Percy's wife, then it was a price I was willing to pay.

***

Something was wrong.

As I stared at the full moon in the sky, I knew it was time; Moonblood. But where was my blood?

***

The first thing I did in the morning was throw up.

That was why I was in the cart with Sally, Hazel, Frank, and Thalia instead of on the back of my horse. The strangest thing was, I was feeling fine.

"Your temperatures fine," Sally said, removing her hand from my forehead. "It doesn't seem like you're sick. You must've eaten something bad last night."

The chances of that happening were slim. I was the queen, after all. Percy and I were given the best food out of everyone in the camp.

"I don't think that's it," I stated.

"Well, then I don't know what's wrong with you," Sally said. "Is vomiting something you usually experience during Moonblood?"

"I didn't get my Moonblood," I replied.

Sally was silent for a moment, before her eyes widened. I came to the same conclusion she did a few seconds later.

"No, no, I'm-" I laughed quietly. "I can't be-"

Sally just smiled. "Morning sickness, not getting your moonblood... Annabeth, I think you're pregnant!"