Chapter 24: Hazel

For once, I was in a good mood.

My father had spent time with me, even though it wasn't much. But every second was precious to me. He was the only parent I had, seeing as I didn't know anything about my mother.

Plus, Frank had gotten entangled in the quilts my father had bought, and it had been hilarious.

Lady Persephone wasn't at dinner, seeing as she had given herself alcohol poisoning. It wasn't an uncommon occurrence. She liked to drink her problems away.

After dinner, I walked back to my room with Frank. There, I whooped his ass in chess for like the fiftieth time. Then he left.

I yawned. I was exhausted, and it didn't take long for me to fall asleep.

Nothing could have prepared me for my dream.

Sammy and I were playing chess. I had snuck him out of his cell, and he had just beaten me. 

"You cheated," I pouted.

"In your dreams, maybe," He replied with a grin. "And now, for my prize."

He leaned over and kissed me, sending shivers down my spine. Sammy always had this effect on me when we kissed. It was one of the many reasons why I loved him.

Just then, my bedroom door smashed open, revealing my father and two guards. They yanked us apart, one of them held him, the other one held me.

"No one, especially not some slave, touches my kids," My father growled, the anger in his eyes making him look like a monster. "Whip him till he dies."

I screamed protests, but they ignored me. The guard was too strong, and I was helpless as the other one dragged Sammy away from me.

Then they locked me in my room. I body slammed the door, but it wouldn't open. I pounded it with my fists till I was bleeding, but no one came. I sunk to the ground, buried my head in my hands, and started to sob.

I could hear Sammy's screams of pain coming from my window, but I couldn't bring myself to move. I cried and cried, till the sun rose in the morning.

I awoke with a start. I curled up into a ball, sunlight shining on the tears covering my face. I couldn't shake the memory from my mind.

So I did what I always do. I took my knife from my drawer and brought it to my wrist, preparing to trace the white lines that were already there.

I pressed down, the pain soothing me as I watched the blood flow out of my wrist.

"Hazel!" 

I turned around. Frank was standing in my doorway, his eyes wide.

"Leave me alone," I sobbed.

Instead, he ran over to me and pulled me into a hug, knocking my knife out of my hands. I struggled for a couple seconds, but he was too strong.

He ripped some fabric from his shirt and started wrapping it around my wrist.

"We have to have the doctor look at this," He said.

"No," I said. "No one can know about this.

He looked at me sadly, but didn't press the issue. Instead, he hugged me harder.

This time, I hugged him back, and started sobbing on his shoulder. It felt nice, having a shoulder to cry on.

"Why?" He asked quietly after awhile.

Still sobbing, I told him everything. How Sammy and I had fallen in love with each other, and he paid for it with his life.

There were tears in his eyes by the time I finished. 

"I'm so sorry, Hazel," He said softly.

We hugged for awhile, and eventually broke apart.

"I should get to breakfast," I said, wiping my eyes. "Before my father sends someone for me."

"Not with your wrist," He said. "We'll just tell the messenger that you're sick."

I didn't feel like eating, or seeing my father, so I decided to use his idea. I climbed back into bed.

Frank kissed the top of my forehead. "I'll be right here if you need anything."

"Ok," I replied. Then I closed my eyes.

Thankfully, I didn't dream.