Chapter 78: Leo

We were almost out of food.

A few apples and a loaf of bread was all we had. We were severely dehydrated. Every time I looked at the ocean water below us, I was tempted to drink it. But I had read books, and knew that it wouldn't help me at all.

But it didn't get rid of the temptation.

We had found this little boat in a small fishing town. After hearing about how the Romans were tracking down all of the runaway slaves, we had stolen it and set sail. I hoped whoever else had escaped had the same fortune.

Unless we died, of course. And as the hours went on, the hot sun beating down on my skin and my arms tired from rowing, I couldn't help but think that that date was coming a lot sooner than I wanted it too.

Calypso was asleep, curled up in the bottom of the boat. It was her turn to row, but I couldn't bring myself to wake her. Perhaps after I die, she'll have enough time to find land.

I had been taking a quick rest, but grabbed the oars again. I looked up, and my jaw dropped.

Land.

An island, in fact. I could see a mountain, and lush trees.

I quickly shook Calypso awake. She saw the island, quickly sat up, and started rowing too. I tried to ignore the aching in my arms and rowed as fast as I could.

After what felt like hours, we landed on the sandy shore. I practically fell out of the boat, and kissed the land, laughing. Calypso did the same.

It seemed almost too good to be true. The island seemed uninhabited, as far as I could tell. We could really start over here, with no Romans trying to put us in chains, and no wars.

Then I heard a gasp.

I shot my head towards the noise, and saw a girl who was... green. Her skin was the color of leaves, and she had red hair. She was staring at us, her eyes wide.

"Am I going insane?" Calypso muttered to herself.