Chapter 47: Frank

I really wanted to ask Hazel who this Sammy was.

But the expression on her face stopped me. The sadness in her eyes, they way her hands went to cover her wrists... her entire posture screamed don't ask about this.

So I didn't.

Annabeth seemed like a great person. We spent the rest of the day getting to know her better, and I liked what I was hearing.

Eventually, the dinner bell rang. Annabeth said goodbye and walked down to the courtyard. Then Hazel and I went to our different dining rooms.

I was sort of an outcast when it came to the other equites. It was mainly because they had their shifts together, and I spent all of my time with Hazel. But I didn't like any of the equites anyway, so I didn't really care.

After dinner, I went back up to Hazel's room. She was staring out the window, watching the slaves eating below.

"Hi," She said as I sat down on the window ledge next to her.

"Hello," I said. "Whatcha doing?"

"Thinking," She said.

I glanced down at the courtyard. I saw Annabeth, who was talking with a black-haired woman.

"Have I told you about Sammy?" Hazel asked.

"No," I replied.

"I think that it's time for me too," She said. "Sammy was a slave boy. We met two years ago, in the gardens. We fell in love."

She took a deep breath. "Then my father found out. And he had Sammy killed."

"Oh, Hazel," I said as I wrapped my arms around her. "I'm so sorry for your loss."

I couldn't imagine what I would do if someone killed Hazel, let alone if she died at the hands of my own father.

"It's why I cut myself," She said. "Thinking about him was painful. And cutting made me feel a pain that was easier to deal with."

I pulled her close to me. She cuddled herself into my arms, and we stayed like that for awhile. Long after the slaves went back to their cells, and I was supposed to go back to my room.

"I love you, Frank," Hazel said softly.

"I love you too, Hazel," I said honestly. Because I did.

We kissed. Not passionately, but softly. Like a promise of love.

"Never leave me," Hazel said when we broke apart. "I won't be able to go on if I lost you."

"With you here?" I asked. "Why would I want to leave?"

She smiled, and cuddled herself back into my arms. And together, we fell asleep under the moonlight streaming through the window.