Chapter 29: Jason

Piper threw up again.

I covered Rachel with a blanket. I could tell from her cuts that they were done with a knife. Which meant that some sicko had cut her on purpose, and done who knows what else.

And I had a feeling I knew exactly who that sicko was.

"I'll be right back," I told Piper, who nodded, tears in her eyes. 

I was going to go find my cousin.

He wasn't that hard to find. He always went to the library when he was here.

"Hello, Octavian," I growled. He sighed and lowered his book.

"Hello cousin," He replied. "Why are you here?"

"I think you know exactly why I'm here."

"Honestly," He shrugged. "I don't."

"Where were you last night?" I asked.

"The feast," He said. "Then I went to bed."

"Didn't make any detours?"

He sighed. "Seriously, Jason. What is this about?"

"What did you do to Rachel?" I growled.

"Who?"

"The red-headed slave girl," I said. "The one who you complained about on your last visit."

"Oh, her," He shrugged, but I saw a flicker of panic in his eyes. "What about her?"

"What did you do to her last night?"

"Nothing," He said. "Why? Did something happen to her?"

"You know exactly what happened to her," I said.

"What? Did you not lock her in her room fast enough?" He said with a smile.

I really wanted to punch him. If it wasn't for my aunt showing up, I probably would have.

"Oh, Octavian darling!" Lady Demeter said, ignoring me. "There you are! It's time to go."

"Good," He said as he stood up. "I was getting bored."

After flashing me a triumphant smile, he followed his mother out of the room.

I wanted to punch something. Octavian could lie all he wanted, but I knew that he was the one who attacked Rachel. And I was going to prove it.

I walked back up to my room. Piper had moved Rachel onto my bed, and was sitting on the floor. I sat down next to her and put my arm around her protectively.

The scariest part about this was the fact that Octavian could've attacked Piper if he wanted to. I should've watched her more carefully, especially with how much wine she was drinking. Sure, I had found her in the hall, but at that point, Rachel was gone. I would've been too late.

I shook my head. Since when had I cared so much about Piper? I was the heir to Rome, I had more important things to worry about than a slave girl!

But then she rested her head on my shoulder, and I couldn't help but start worrying about her again. What the hell was happening to me?

Just then, Rachel groaned. Piper shot to her feet, then almost fell over. Her alcohol poisoning hadn't worn off yet.

"Rachel?" She asked, resting her hand on the bedtable.

"Piper?" She grumbled. "What happened?"

Piper and I exchanged a look. "We were hoping you could tell us that."

"We?" She asked. "Where am I?"

"Prince Jason's room," Piper said. "Do you remember anything from last night?"

"I remember the feast," She said slowly. "And leaving with you. I remember you being a mess. And then-"

Piper and I held our breaths.

"I don't know," She said. "I think- I think someone grabbed me, maybe?"

"Do you remember anything else?" Piper asked softly.

"No," She said. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry," Piper said immediately. "None of this is your fault."

Rachel sat up, then winced in pain. She pulled the blanket off of herself, and her eyes widened as she saw her almost completely ripped-off dress and multiple cuts and bruises covering her body.

"What-" She whimpered. "What happened to me?"

"We don't know," Piper said sadly.

"Oh god," Rachel said as she stared at herself. 

We sat in silence for awhile. I had no idea what to say.

Suddenly, Rachel shrieked.

She was staring at her left arm. Piper looked at her arm too, gasped, and brought her hands to her mouth.

I walked over to her, and almost gasped too. Someone had carved the word whore into Rachels' arm. I could tell that it was going to scar.

"Oh my god," Rachel whimpered. "That's why I'm sore."

She turned to Piper, tears in her eyes. "Piper, I think someone raped me."